1. This site uses cookies. By continuing to use this site, you are agreeing to our use of cookies. Learn More.

Mboard driving me mental...

Discussion in 'PC hardware help' started by LDee, Jan 30, 2007.

1. LDee

LDee Regular member

Hello, again

I am continuing this in a new thread because I think it could ease confusion.

I have had a problem with a system featuring a brand new board, I could not get a display from it. I tested the other components and they seemed to work fine. I sent the board back but the company claim they cannot reproduce the fault and have returned the same board to me again. When I recieved it for the second time I again tried to get it working (again trying both onboard and agp graphics), same as before, power seems to be ok the fans are going but no display. Today I tried it with a different psu (in a different location too, so different power lead and everything) same situation, fans on but no display. This is where it might get a little complicated, the thread describing how I tried to fix it before is here:
    http://forums.afterdawn.com/thread_view.cfm/451378

I tested the board with components from an old board which (after a long process) I have come to believe is faulty, this thread describes the fault with that board:
    http://forums.afterdawn.com/thread_view.cfm/455147

This "faulty" (I put this in speech marks because as I say, I do not know for sure if it's faulty) board, the old one, is the board I am using to test whether the cpu and ram and psu are working ok. I get a post and can go into bios, start installing windows on this board or whatever (however I don't think it would finish as I had weird problems with it whereby it would only boot windows after doing memchecks, sometimes it claimed memory was bad, sometimes not, depending on the speed setting. It would not reinstall windows stably last time). Is using this board ok for testing whether the cpu is alright? Perhaps there is nothing wrong with the new board but the problem is actually the cpu (p4 3ghz)? I always assumed this was not the case due to the fact that it allows post and seems to work. I'm really sorry about the length of this again, but I had to describe it all. I'm at my wits end with this one...

Thanks.

PS: I am sending the new board back anyway because they (ebuyer or the couriers) have bent loads of pins in the corner including the chasis fan header and front panel headers! But apart from this the board may be ok... ? I really don't know.

EDIT: I almost forgot, today when testing the board with a different (perfectly working as far as I know) psu, the cpu got really hot and the whole area of the board surrounding the cpu got hot and there was a slight smell of burning, there are no visual indications of damage on either the board or cpu. I am sure the hsf was seated properly (with fresh tim). Can I take my components anywhere to be tested? I live in London.

Last edited: Jan 30, 2007
  2. magus7091

magus7091 Regular member

It sounds to me like you might have fried your CPU. I don't know much about ebuyer.. but I'm seriously starting to question the integrity of this company. (did a search and here's the results btw http://www0.epinions.com/pr-Online_Stores_Services-ebuyer_UK ) 3 Long beeps unfortunately is not something I've been able to find. At this point I'd say try the CPU in another board and see what you can get going, but don't use that board anymore.

3. LDee

LDee Regular member

Well yes, but I need to test the cpu now. I will try it later in my old board but like I say, I do not know if this is an accurate test.

There should be a place one can bring components and have them tested for a small fee.

4. neojapan

neojapan Regular member

I had the same problem my board,cpu fan everything would turn on but,I did not get a post,tried everything except the cpu,that was the problem after a year and a half it died on me