1. This site uses cookies. By continuing to use this site, you are agreeing to our use of cookies. Learn More.

Me a Newbie needing a little starting Advice.

Discussion in 'DVDR' started by Swaneyjoe, Dec 20, 2007.

1. Swaneyjoe

Swaneyjoe Guest

Hi All.
    I'm a newbie to burning DVDs,etc. I use an older ver of Nero on my older puter to copy&burn CD's. I just recently purchased a Sony DRU 840 A burner with ver #7 Nero. I will be studying up on the new terminology concerning DVD,etc which I'm new at. Just one quest for starters, concerning image burning.Am I assuming that in order to burn a copy of a DVD I should first insert the source DVD into the new Sony burner, and then select Neros option (burn image) to HDD. Then, once that is done, I can just burn the image to a new blank DVD-r? If that is how it works?
    Now! second part of guestion. I am assuming that in the process of burning the Image to My HD, that I can select a folder to burn it too. The reason being, is that I only have a 120 gig HD, and want to be able to delete that image, so my HD doesn't get crowded.

That is all I need to know for starters Folks. The rest of Nero I may be able to figure out myself, without hounding the bunch of You with silly questions.HA !

Thanks for any input Folks..
    Swaneyjoe...Calif

2. iluvendo

iluvendo Active member

3. Swaneyjoe

Swaneyjoe Guest

Thanks Iluvendo..
    Appreciate the input and links to Help files.I have been browsing for some time trying to grasp it all.:) I do have one small question tho. I recently purchased a VHS/DVD burner and my only reason for purchasing this sony burner, was so I could burn copies of the DVD's of the television shows,etc I had taped.I can't imagine a 1 hr TV DVD being any larger that the 4.3 gigs mentioned in the exclamation of the DVD Shrink software. So is the added DVD Shrink software to burn actually needed in my case, since I will be burning smaller video files than 3.3 gigs.

Or, would it be best to download DVD Shrink and use it for burning the image to the HD. I had assumed that the Sony burner along with associated Nero software would do the job stand alone, not requireing additional software,but will download anything necessary to get good Rip and Burn.

Thanks for any input.
    Swaneyjoe..
    Ps: Have a nice Christmas yourself...

4. iluvendo

iluvendo Active member

For starters, the supplied nero software is a "starter" package and will work only with the sony burner.So getting the prerequisite freeware helps alot.Dvd shrink is a transcoding prog which allows one to format (compress-transcode), "shrink" a file to the target size of 4350 Mb (which will fit on a single sided blank +R or -R dvd)- that is if the file size is >4350 Mb. If the desired file size is <4350Mb, then no "shrinking" is necessary, and burn away. It is always best to capture the old vhs data to the hdd so u can edit prior to burning, and in the off chance the file size is>4350 Mb, then transcoding is necessary and a wasted disc does not become a coaster.If set up correctly dvd shrink can outputthe files in an "image" as a iso file and imgburn then can burn them for you quite nicely.ALL free of course.

5. Swaneyjoe

Swaneyjoe Guest

Thanks a Million Iluvendo..

That was a great help. I will download DVD Shrink, and work with it. I'm not quite set up to copy direct from the TV/DVD recorder to my Hd, so have to take the long way around and burn from TV to DVD, then burn a new CD for a duplicate with Nero.

The main reason I bought the TV/DVD burner was to burn TV shows to DVD and send them to My Son over in Iraq, but I also would like to make copies of a few to keep. So thats why I bought this Sony burner. I'll get it figured out if I just mess around and become familliar with its workings..

So Thanks again Iluvendo. I appreciate the help!!

Swaneyjoe

6. iluvendo

iluvendo Active member

You are so welcome and tell your son God speed and return home safely.He has served his country with honor and distinction.