1. This site uses cookies. By continuing to use this site, you are agreeing to our use of cookies. Learn More.

Media File Format, Best Practice?

Discussion in 'Home Theater PC' started by sc0rch3d, Mar 2, 2010.

1. sc0rch3d

sc0rch3d Member

Hey gang. Looking for a best practice solution for my file formats.

Here is a little background.

I have a nice HT set up. 54" Panasonic Plasma, Onkyo SRX707 receiver, polk audio 7.1 set up, an Acer HTPC, PS3, XBOX360, TivoHD3, and a big 8TB NAS. All of my media is played through XBMC.

I have backed up all of my CD's to the NAS, have moved all of my DVDs to the NAS, and have most of my BD saved there. However the BDs, with just the movies are starting to get a little cumbersome. With 80 BDs backed up already, Im starting to get close to half of my storage space consumed. XBMC plays file structures natively, flawlessly. I get to get 1:1 visual and keep the TrueDolbyHD sound. This is something that I would like to retain on blockbuster movies that frequently watch. However, some of the 'ehhh, movies' that I just want to keep backed up, I don't mind loosing some quality in the picture, but I'd like to keep the sound intact. So here is the question:

What is the best file format/software to sub-sample BD file structures. I want to keep the vid at 1080p, and the sound 7.1 compatible. But I'd really like to take some of these files from 25gb to around 12gb without loosing too much in quality.

I've used ClownBD, but the output seems a little glitchy to me. Theres some artifacting that happens with the re-sampled movie.

Any thoughts? Ideas? Your own practices?

2. Takagi

Takagi Regular member

Sounds to me you should be teaching the stuff -

But there is always someone with the little bit extra info that
    you need just around the corner - Hope you get sorted ,

BTW is extending memory such as a separate drive for these rare movies an option - it would be easier to maintain

Just a thought !

3. cyprusrom

cyprusrom Active member