1. This site uses cookies. By continuing to use this site, you are agreeing to our use of cookies. Learn More.

Media for XBOX v1.0

Discussion in 'Xbox - General discussion' started by rhino4, Mar 5, 2004.

1. rhino4

rhino4 Member

I have the XBOX v1.0 with the Thompson DVD Drive. I know it is a finacky drive but I have read in quite a few places that the Memorex CD-RW works in it. That is what I am using but I cannot flash my Xecuter 2.3B Lite Chip because the Cromwell doesn't even see the CD. It just attempts to loads and then ejects without doing anything. Any suggestions?

2. lcarbutt

lcarbutt Regular member

u probably burnt ya bios wrong, need more info if youwant me to help

tell us this
    -the chip
    -the bios u r tryin to flash
    -how you burnt the disk

3. rhino4

rhino4 Member

I have the X-Ecuter 2.3B Lite Plus chip. It is installed correctly because the Cromwell Bios comes up asking for the Flash CD and when I disable the chip my XBOX is normal. I downloaded the EvoX bios 4980.06 I created a dummy.bin file of 100MB and attempted to burn it to a Memorex CD-RW using Nero and burnt the dummy file and the bios file to the disk. I placed the disk in the XBOX, nothing happens, and then the disk ejects.

4. seamonkey

seamonkey Regular member

wassup..
    not too familar w/the xecuter mod chips, but does your mod chip have a jumper/dip switches you need to change so it is flashable?

you probably need to create an xbox image of teh files and then burn that image file to a cd-rw...

have you tried different cd-rws? xbox's vary from xbox to xbox, depends on the dvd drive in the xbox...
    hope that helps ya out!
    peace
    seamonkey420
    _X_X_X_X_X_[small]'knowledge is power, spread the power'
    -Athlon XP 2600+, 1GBMB DDR-SDRAM,HP DVD200i DVD+R/+RW, 100GB and 80GB WDSE HD
    -XBOX w/Matrix mod chip and 60GB HDD
    http://www.geocities.com/daseamonkey420 or
    http://www.geocities.com/seamonkeyguides[/small]

Last edited: Mar 5, 2004
  5. iggi

iggi Member

the xbox does that when your drive doesn't like the media, I flashed my m8's xbox which had a thompson drive, I used a ridata cd-rw. You could do with finding out if a friend has a samsung drive and borrow it to flash your chip. Once flashed the thompson drive will play most media.

6. Burnzilla

Burnzilla Regular member

I have the thompson drive also and memorex doesn't work. I bought a 25 pack because i also read that it was readable media. I have a chip also (not sure which, it was soldered though) are they all flashable so you can use any media? Thanks everyone.

7. ABMone

ABMone Guest

Well did you burn it correctly?

If so, then i guess every drive is a little unique even if they are the same brand.

8. iggi

iggi Member

I had trouble with the thompson drive reading various kinds of media whilst trying to flash it, once eventually flashed and dashboard installed it will read most kinds of media including ones it didn't previously. Why this is I dont know.

9. shdwsfall

shdwsfall Regular member

Memorex didnt work on my v1.0 But TDK brand worked everytime. TDK also worked on my friends V1.0, and most ppl with a V1.0 seem to be able to use this brand.

10. rhino4

rhino4 Member

I tried Sony CD-RW and it worked just fine. I now have everything loaded and everything works good.

11. lcarbutt

lcarbutt Regular member

Im sorry if it sounds like im treating u like a thicky, but you have turned the flash protect off havent u?.

Heres a list of cd's that work on the thomson

(ALL -RW NOT -R)
    Maxell 650mb
    Momorex 650/700mb
    TDK 700mb
    AOpen700mb
    Imation 700mb

I found the best DVD that works is the philips DVD+R.