1. This site uses cookies. By continuing to use this site, you are agreeing to our use of cookies. Learn More.

Media Linux

Discussion in 'Digital video discussion for Linux users' started by LadyNo0b, Sep 23, 2006.

1. LadyNo0b

LadyNo0b Member

Hello, Im new here at afterdawn. I am a windows native thats fallen in love with linux. I have tried about 4 distro's so far and I am finding that I love each one a little more than the next. My questions to the forum are: (I know this is an excellent place to get help with video anything) So, I figured one of you could direct me towards a good distro that primarily focuses on media in general. I do alot of video ripping, encoding, editing, burning, duplicating, playback etc. I also tend to burn alot of images as well cd's too. I also wanted to ask, Can something like WINE support AnyDVD? I noticed tonight in one of the repositories tons of video encoders and such, but the one's I primary want have warnings. By warnings I mean that I don't live in Lithuania, or Antigua if you catch my drift. Will I run into trouble when I try to run these apps?? And one last question before I go, has anyone tried VLC ( http://www.videolan.org/vlc/streaming.html )that would care to comment about it a little? So far that has to be my most essential find yet if it really does all that. (I'm getting ready to give it a try) Sorry for being a total no0b but it's 7am, what else am I gonna do? Watch cartoons? Anyways, any help will do, thank you!

basically I want a codec for everything, and the capability to back-up anything, an ISO burner as well, on a cutting edge desktop

Last edited: Sep 23, 2006
  2. tocool4u

tocool4u Guest

If your talking about what I think you are, then its fine to dl those codecs :)

There is a linux distro that is built specificlly for andything media.
    Its called "VideoLinux"

http://forums.afterdawn.com/thread_view.cfm/361125

Keep in mind that its in its Alpha stages so there are probubley alot of bugs and I would maybe wait until it hits beta stage.

3. LadyNo0b

LadyNo0b Member

Thanks Tocool4u, I love the mac style desktop alot too (maybe because I have spent too much time using Windows) Either way its beautiful. Widgets are nice too, but tend to hog all my resources, but I'm sure you can turn those on and off. (It's about time I updated my RAM anyhow) But as far as distros go, you hit the nail on the head. That's exactly what I want. I guess I better go read some more about it before I start my entourage of questions. Thank you

Edit: I will definetly wait on the beta. Looks a little buggy and I'm no pro.

Last edited: Sep 23, 2006