1. This site uses cookies. By continuing to use this site, you are agreeing to our use of cookies. Learn More.

Media player classic windows media player

Discussion in 'Media tanks' started by 1diesel1, Jan 2, 2011.

1. 1diesel1

1diesel1 Guest

window media player classic says cannot render this file Media player says Windows Media Player cannot play the file. The Player might not support the file type or might not support the codec that was used to compress the file. Please help I don't get it Its is downloaded from a password site that requires me too put a login and password before i download the movie file after i do this the above errors come on. I am using windows vista. Now here is the kicker when I use my old laptop too download the movie file they play on the my windows XP using the same players I use on my new laptop?? I can even send the file too my new laptop and they will play there without no problems. It is only when I download the file with my new vista laptop that I have issues please can someone help It's driving me NUTS!!!

2. aldan

aldan Active member

havent used windows media player in years and never really liked it.you might look into vlc media player.this can play pretty much anything you can throw at it.are your codecs up to date?

3. ps355528

ps355528 Active member

Obviously they either aren't up to date or this is a watermarked file with drm embedded... I have seen WMP whine for codecs then play the file.. a network sniffer was most interesting while it was "searching for codecs" .. time-warner.. sony - emi group???.. they don't do codecs..

As suggested.. I would try vlc first and if that fails then remove all your existing codecs and try installing either k-lite again or give the cccp codec pack a shot

4. xboxdvl2

xboxdvl2 Regular member

if you want to use windows media player i'd suggest upgrading to the latest version.using k-lite codecs you should be able to configure it to open movies in classic player.I use windows media player with k-lite codecs and it works fine for me with any movie.my sister uses vlc and that works fine with any movie.