1. This site uses cookies. By continuing to use this site, you are agreeing to our use of cookies. Learn More.

Medium Speed Errors

Discussion in 'CD-R' started by natalie, Apr 29, 2003.

1. natalie

natalie Member

Hi,

I have been trying for ages to get my Artec 24x10x40 cd burner to burn, every time I try I get the medium speed error.

Annoyingly, this used to work fine, I only bought it last year and at the moment I still have about 30-40 blank cd's remaining from a pack of 100 from when I first bought the thing.

I had to reinstall Win ME for some reason a while ago and since then it stopped working, I have since that time reinstalled Windows, updated the ASPI, NERO etc etc and still no joy. I have even in the last few days wiped everything off and started from scratch again to try and restore the same conditions that enabled it to work fine before and still no joy!

Has anyone any other ideas please as this is really really frustrating?

Natalie

2. Shoey

Shoey Guest

Are you using the latest firmware for your Artec burner? WinMe is a [bold] very buggy o/s [/bold]. Consider Win2K Pro or WinXP.

http://forum.rpc1.org/portal.php
    Go to download firmware then look for your Artec model. If there's an update I recommend you use MTKFlash Win IDE Mode.
    MTKFlash:http://digi.rpc1.org/mwf.htm

Shoey :)

Last edited by a moderator: Apr 29, 2003
  3. natalie

natalie Member

Hi,

Unfortunately I forgot to say that I had also tried updating the firmware. After your suggestion I tried again and came across version 1.04 on this site, originally I had gone from 1.02 to 1.03 but no joy. What really annoys me with all this is that it is all the same software as before when it all worked fine. Win ME with Nero 5.4, firmware 1.02 and whatever aspi was there together with my pack of 100 cds.

I have only tried changing everything else since I had to reinstall everything and it is being a real pain! To make it worse or more frustrating, my pack of cds remaining are from various points within the original pack so I can't even think of it being the media.

Last week when I was looking into this I managed to burn a cd after upgrading the firmware and thought it was sorted until the other day when I went to use it again.

Do you have any other ideas please?

Natalie

4. Shoey

Shoey Guest

I'm not really sure what "medium speed error" is natalie. If you are using the latest firmware and still encountering problems then try a different burning software to see if Nero is the problem. Here's a freebie called BurnAtOnce. How much physical system ram are you running?

BurnAtOnce:http://www.burnatonce.com/downloads/

Last edited by a moderator: Apr 30, 2003
  5. natalie

natalie Member

Hi Shoey,

Thanks for trying to help by the way! I have tried Burnatonce and another and I still receive the same errors.

I have 256Mb of Ram and about 12Gb free on the drive the OP system resides on. Any other ideas please?

Natalie

6. Shoey

Shoey Guest

Does it say in Device Manager "this device is working properly" (Artec)? Try a different media cd-r brand. Can you access any type of data that you previously burned in your Artec burner?

7. natalie

natalie Member

Hi Shouey,

I think it is working now as I have burnt 2 cds so I will see how it goes! I will just answer your questions and explain what I have done in case it may help others later.

It didnt report as "not working" in device manager and yes, I could access the drive with previously burnt things and new discs.

After my last reply regarding the location of the OS I thought about where my burner was located and it was as secondary slave as I had installed a new HDD as secondary master a few months back.

By making the burner secondary master and the CD ROM secondary slave it appears to have worked.

I hope that helps others, damn sensitive devices!

Natalie