1. This site uses cookies. By continuing to use this site, you are agreeing to our use of cookies. Learn More.

mega speakers

Discussion in 'Receivers and amplifiers' started by 4nic8, Mar 21, 2007.

1. 4nic8

4nic8 Member

I have two theatre reasearch speakers (TR-1610) They are 400 watts each and I'm having a hard time finding a reciever that works. What should i get? (I have a limited budget)

2. gerry1

gerry1 Guest

Hello 4nic8. Welcome to afterdawn. You speakers are 400w peak power but very nice. I hate to get personal but what is your "limited budget" (that means different things to different people). Often times, the best bang for the buck is with JVC amplifiers/receivers ... (they don't only make ghetto blasters at K-Mart!) Tell us what your budget is.

3. 4nic8

4nic8 Member

Im in high school and dont have a job.
    Right now I'm using my moms JVC reciever (which is about 30yrs old) and the speakers sound wonderful.
    I've bought a sherwood before and i think a sony but neither one lasted very long. After a while they would just shut off. I've been told many times to get Onkyo but havent been able to afford it.
    Also i have a PS3 and should be getting a new tv soon so i would like to have surround sound in the future.

4. gerry1

gerry1 Guest

I know you're anxious to get a new receiver but if I were you, I'd keep using your mom's JVC and save a bit of money to get a 5.1 surround that can do justice to your speakers. Your speakers can only sound as good as the system you connect it to so if you connect your nice speakers to a cheapie surround sound system, it will sound cheap. Onkyo does make some nice models as does Denon and Yamaha and the newer JVCs surround cost less and they're good and give you a lot for the money. Surround sound AVRs that can do any justice to your speakers will start at about $200 at the cheapest. If you can't afford that, don't go spending $100 on some wal-mart piece of junk because, with those good speakers, it will still sound like junk. If it sounds good through your mom's unit, have a little patience and get something decent rather than junk that will sound like junk.

5. 4nic8

4nic8 Member

I might could afford the 200 dollar reciever after spring break. What model would you suggest?

Thanks for the quick replies