1. This site uses cookies. By continuing to use this site, you are agreeing to our use of cookies. Learn More.

Member of the Month award

Discussion in 'AfterDawn feedback & suggestions' started by john179, Jul 2, 2004.

1. john179

john179 Active member

How about a member of the month award to the member who really makes a differance to the forum for the month.He could have his name on the news page mentioning what he has done to deserve this or he could be moved from what ever he his newbie,junior so on one up.Some how this would give members who really make a differance to others some sort of achievement they want to continue.I feel some of the members on this site should get some real praise where it counts.I do not believe at present that includes me but you never know in the future.I know on some sites they give dvd writers and all sorts of things to the dedicated memebers.If you go to cdcovers.cc and see what they have achieved by this.They are No1 cover site because they set a goal for people to chase.Iam not saying this site could afford that type of thing but a bit of praise where due to the boyz and girls where it counts wont't go a miss.I believe some of the people who spend countless hours on this site helping to make it the No1 site which i believe it is deserve at least some sort of pat on the back.
    What do you think?????

2. john179

john179 Active member

Iam sorry where i keep saying he in my first post i meant he or she.

3. Praetor

Praetor Moderator Staff Member

Not a bad idea actually :)

4. brian100

brian100 Guest

I like the idea aswell.

I vote "Vurbal"

5. Praetor

Not to stiffle this idea but lets refrain from the voting until this is "decided" otherwise we're gonna have a flood of votes and nothing official to do with them heehee :)

6. Prisoner

Prisoner Guest

This seems like a good Idea. Could show Newbies how to act and what type of behaviour is expected. They could even win a T-shirt or something (pencil if t-shirt is too expensive).

But the negatives I could see sensitive users feeling like they are always left out. And see more threads instead on how to "move up the ranks" to how do I become the member of the month.

But more importantly I can see users creating "perfect Ids" and Not so perfect Ids to boost they apperance. Person X and Y fight with each other and Person X always wins and looks like the hero. But guess what person X and Y are the same person.

7. dRD

dRD I hate titles Staff Member

We have had a similar idea before and have most likely a solution for how to implement this as well, in terms of forum posts. We'll look into this one, but as always, have patience..

8. flip218

flip218 Moderator Staff Member

At least a pen ... lol

I don't think a member of the month is needed. The members who do make a difference are rewarded when the people they help are successful. And there are alot of members helping alot of people. So how would you even choose just one?

Last, I think one of the best rewards would be becoming a Senior or Addict.

9. Prisoner

Prisoner Guest

Well if you keep working you might make there flip218.

But thinking of the number of users, would this just be a popularity contest or could you actually discriminate? That could be a lot of fun, reading thousands of posts and selecting a winner.

10. Praetor

Kinda a bit of both. I for one go through enough posts a day to know that there are a crapload of really good posters out there. Perhaps the selection process might be simpler if we broke things down into "categories" -- 'sides it's not really fair considering some of the long-time members here have developed a posting "style" and technique which has been refined over hundreds of posts heehee.

I would tend to say that it is possible to discrimnate and eventually come up with a "top" poster -- but the things is, by the time whoever objectively comes up with that decision, it will be long past that month heehee. 'sides I dunno about the other Mods (and other heavy posters), I for one simply dont have enough time to go through and read up on posts etc... after awhile however I do get a sense for who is a good contributer and who isnt ... and then I make reccommendations for Senior/Addict promotions.

Just spitballing an idea, perhaps we could have a system or something where Seniors/Addicts/Mods can, at sometime during a given week, "vote" for a newbie/junior/member and whoever "wins" that week gets a promotion or ... a .. uh.... stick .... of... uh.... cheese? I certainly see the potential for elitism with this kind of idea and although it's not my intent, the potential is there and on the scale of thousands of users, I honestly don't think it will show up in the end. This idea would avoid the potential for hundreds of junk Newbie accounts setup in order to "vote". Just an idea.

No time! LOL

11. vurbal

vurbal Administrator Staff Member

If we were going to have something like this, and I'm not convinced we should for the reasons others have mentioned, it would probably better to have something like a button at either the top or bottom of each post with a caption like "I Found This Post Helpful". The poster of the month could then be selected from the posts that got the most clicks. It's not necessarily more fair than other methods, but it would at least be an attempt to base it on how helpful a poster has been, and let's face it, that's the most important thing.

12. Praetor

True but there is an incredible amount of "spam-voting" potential with that kind of idea :)

13. vurbal

Very true, which is another problem with the idea in general. My biggest concern is that the Senior Members and Afterdawn Addicts would be the ones getting the award most of the time. I don't others to feel like the focus of the site is on a few people. In the end I just don't know that there's a good way to implement this in a way that wouldn't ultimately be counter-productive to the idea of having a friendly community of peers.

14. Praetor

Yeah indeed which is why i would think it to be useful for the award to goto newbies/juniors/members only :)

15. vurbal

No arguments there.

16. dRD

Something that I've wondered, it sorta has its roots in Slashdot/etc style, but with aD-specific twist.

Each post would have a subtle 1-5 easy-to-click quickie voting thingy above it (on the same bar where the other "stuff" is as well). Clicking a voting would add the vote (or in case of user not being logged in, it redirects user to login or register first, so no anonymous votes here) to the database. But. But the voting would also have priorities. Newbie votes for some post and votes for "2". This would get added once -- one vote and vote is "2" for post X. Ok, now Senior Member votes the same post and gives "3". But Senior Member has 5 times more "power" than Newbie, so the vote would actually be inserted 5 times to the database (to get the averages, etc correctly). So, now the post would have total of 6 votes: 2, 3, 3, 3, 3 and 3. Obviously one user can vote for one post only once.

After each month, a little scriptiethingythatisyettobecoded would go through every vote during that month, get the averages for each post and shows the results for "best post". But it could also be tweaked to show "best user" with somekinda funk-ee algorithm (whatever it would be? List only users with minimum of 10 messages during that month THAT have been voted for (each one of them) minimum of 10 times AND that have total average points more than 3.00 and order by the average points and get the top one?). Yes, I am a programmer..

17. Praetor

Seems like a good idea however I would hope it would be one vote per "term" becuase it wouldnt really make sense to have multiple "bests" from one person (and again we have the potential for spam-accounts)

Now considering this to be post of the month, having one vote for the entire month .... would that make sense considering that we may not (a) be able to predict the future or (b) have the time to go over all the posts in the last month on the last day of the month?

Perhaps we can get one vote per week and then either (a) change it to poster of the week or (b) do it per originally planned but now with just 4 times the number of votes to process? :)

Course we could make things interesting by adding (a) that the lowest voted score cannot be less than a 2 (b) there must be at least one vote from at least 2 "ranks", etc :) ... i'm a programmer too ... like to complicate things :p

18. dRD

I'd say each user can vote for as many posts as they ever want to, so there wouldn't be any limit on number of votes. That way, this would also eventually allow searches like "search only for posts with avg points of 3.00 or more".

I like the "exclude posts with votes less than 3" as well, it would nicely remove various attempts to manipulate the figures upwards. Specifically if the rule would be something like "exclude posts that have votes for less than 3 and those vote/s are made by users with status of Member or higher", which would sorta allow "more senior members" to act as "vote cops" by simply tagging b.s. posts by voting "1" for them.

And I agree, making life a complicated, but ah so full of boolean logic, hell is the deadly sin #1 of virtually all programmers :)

19. Praetor

So I could vote for Person X ten times?

20. dRD

You could vote for 10 different posts by user X. The votes would be post-specific, not user specific. But the "user chart" could be created based on the votes for various posts by those users (as well as the chart for best forum posts).