1. This site uses cookies. By continuing to use this site, you are agreeing to our use of cookies. Learn More.

Member Signatures

Discussion in 'AfterDawn feedback & suggestions' started by framit, Nov 4, 2005.

1. framit

framit Guest

How about limiting the size of avatars pictures etc. in signatures it is a real pain trying to read threads and having to scroll sideways because the page is almost twice as wide as normal. Lately it is getting rediculous pages are getting wider and wider, and pictures are bigger than ever. I have ADSL as a connection I pity all members with dialup.
    I think it is time to cap it, this is primarily a help forum not a fancy picture gallery.

2. Lethal_B

Lethal_B Moderator Staff Member

I respect your opinion, and with that I shall downsize mine, a little.

TBH, It doesn't bother me too much, though it does annoy me when there are people who don't contribute much at all.

There is a set limit of 80kb for a picture, but i have seen one recently that was 1MB!

I know my sig is big, but it is helpful aswell - like you say, it is what the forum is about.

3. mlinuxko

mlinuxko Regular member

IMHO there should be just text in signature.(or very small picture) I used to read howardforums.com, but on that site nearly everybody has so big signatures that it is difficult to read the messages. (Usually messages are just oneliners) This site looks much more "professional" and I hope it will stay that way.

4. Nephilim

Nephilim Moderator Staff Member

Large sigs have been an ongoing issue that never seems to be resolved. I can understand why so many folks get tired of scrolling through through a mass of gifs - I do too. I've tried in the past to try and enforce downsizing but it's always resulted in resentment, confusion and complaining which is why I've been silent about it lately. It'd be nice to have some sort of concrete rules defining limits......................

I guess the best we can do is hope for some voluntary cooperation especially in consideration for those on dial up. They can shut off all images to the site but it's still fun to see some of the cool gifs folks have - just not as big :)

5. ireland

ireland Active member

drd should set it up this way

custom Signatures, You can specify your own custom width and height for your Signatures pix and must be no more than 200x200 pixels. and use a maximum of 400 characters for the rest.

my 3 cents.............

Last edited: Nov 5, 2005
  6. Nephilim

Nephilim Moderator Staff Member

I like your thinking Ireland :)

7. Lethal_B

I also like your idea, ireland. But aren't the 200x200 images for forums which have their pics under their nick?

<----Here

Because a 200x600 sig would mean that you can fill in the whole area without the need for people to scroll down any more than they would in the first place.

8. ireland

ireland Active member

quote Lethal_B
    I also like your idea, ireland. But aren't the 200x200 images for forums which have their pics under their nick?

<----Here

Because a 200x600 sig would mean that you can fill in the whole area without the need for people to scroll down any more than they would in the first place.

another way it can be set up is have a 100x100 pixels max You can specify your own custom width and height posted under ye nick,and ban pixs in your Signatures
    and still limit a maximum of 400 characters for the Signature.

those large pixs in the Signature sure slow down the loading of the thread ..
    i have both cable and dial up,so i do know the difference

9. Lethal_B

Yes, I agree with that. After seeing how high 200pixels is, I retract my statement slightly. I just meant we shouldn't be restricted to a square pic.

Are you referring to picture size (visually) or size (in kb)?

(heh, mine is gone now. Realised that 200kb is a little selfish)

10. ireland

ireland Active member

read this,

Why they say spyware is good for you

Now the lawyers are taking aim, too. Robert Green, a partner at the San Francisco firm of Green Welling, says he's readying a class action lawsuit against Sony.

http://forums.afterdawn.com/thread_view.cfm/254103

Important Notice!
    spacer
    AnyDVD tackles Sony DRM Rootkit Virus!
    If AnyDVD is installed and active on your PC, the new so-called "Sony DRM Rootkit Virus" has no access to your system and the affected audio CD appears unprotected regardless! Another good reason to get AnyDVD!

Read more information about Sony DRM Rootkit Virus:
    Sysinternals.com: Sony gone too far
    F-Secure.com: ...security implications
    http://www.slysoft.com/en/download.html

every thing on sony from the news i have posted in this thread,
    http://dvdxcopy.afterdawn.com/thread_view.cfm/253611

Last edited: Nov 7, 2005
  11. Auslander

Auslander Senior member

hey neph, here's an idea for concrete rules: let's see the measurements of the pixels in my sig, and set that as the limit :D

and think, it's generaly understood around here that a sig is to be no more than 80 kb, and no more than about 150x600 pixels...as long as that is kinda pushed by the higher-ups, the problems seem to get solved quickly...

*shrugs* but i dunno...i wouldn't complain at all, if i wasn't stuck on dialup with a 15-inch monitor.

12. sui-cyco

sui-cyco Regular member

i was gonna make a suggestion for someone to make a sig making thread.but there seems to be a debate about sigs all together.people love sigs,its their personal statement to the world.so limiting the sigs size to 100x100 is lame.i didnt mean to offend anybody by being so blunt.its true there has to be a size limit but not that small.most sites have avators and alot of people will then do a personal sig pic or gif.since there is no avator there shouldnt be such a tight restraint on sig size.about 200x600 if sure should fill in the sig area without expanding the screen so all sigs should be limited to that area.besides this is an audio/video based site so really innovated sigs should be encouraged.

and by the way,i would like to make a suggestion for a sig making thread.maybe ask someone who is good at it to make a guide for it?it could also fall under an animation programs forum topic.or something like that.

13. ireland

ireland Active member

sui-cyco
    example this is..
    39243 bytes
    96 x 55 pixels

it will auto set this up if the proper software is used here at the site,the above is too large..

it would be around a 1/4 the size if used as a Avatars under ye name
    You can specify your own custom width and height for your avatar. Avatars must be no more than 100x100 pixels.

Last edited: Nov 26, 2005
  14. sui-cyco

sui-cyco Regular member

you lost me.are you saying that sig is 96x55?because it is more like 96x550.to be exact it is 70x366.and you can go at least 700 on the width without expanding the page off the screen.so you would have to worry about the length more so.like in my sig i have text.other people have comp specs that enlongate the post.there is no way to center the text off to the right to save space.so it all comes down to restructuring the site to accomendate minor problems.and i dont think that is feasible.but regulating the extreme cases is.with simple guidlines to oversized sigs.

and that brings up another case for a sig thread/forum.if people could know how to make their own sigs they can better control the size.instead of getting an already existing image off the net that is too big.people want sigs that reflect their personalities and sometimes the only images they like are oversized.

15. ireland

ireland Active member

sui-cyco
    your right i gave ye the wrong size,
    its is 366 x 70 pixels here

on my site its as i posted.
    39243 bytes
    96 x 55 pixels

16. Bird7

Bird7 Regular member

I like my sig should i make it smaller?

17. zippyd

zippyd Active member

New Sig Rules.....

Signatures

These rules exist to make viewing the forum as pleasant as possible to all users. Even though you might think signatures with large pictures look cool, some might find them extremely annoying.

1. Text-only signatures should have at most 5 lines of text.

2. An image-only signature should be less than 50kb in size, and be at most 500 pixels wide and 200 pixels tall.

3. If you use an animated picture in the signature, it should not be too distractive. Eg. blinking images or images with quick movement are not allowed.

4. If you want to use both text and image in your signature the image should not be more than 500 pixels wide and 100 pixels tall, and you can use up to three lines of text.

5. All the abovementioned rules for forum posts apply also to the signatures.

Yours is 182px tall and you're using text.

18. framit

framit Guest

Hooray, at last some kind of control. Many thanks to the rule makers, now if only everybody conforms to them it should be great.

19. borhan9

borhan9 Active member

I was just wonderin is my sig size ok or do i have to shrink it??

@Bird7
    Looks ok to me.

Last edited: Nov 27, 2005
  20. zippyd

zippyd Active member

Nevermind........Sorry

Last edited: Nov 27, 2005