1. This site uses cookies. By continuing to use this site, you are agreeing to our use of cookies. Learn More.

memorex cd-r

Discussion in 'CD-R' started by wcupk, Aug 29, 2007.

1. wcupk

wcupk Member

ok i am hoping someone here can help me. i burned 5 cd's in the past 2 weeks both with nero ver 7 and roxio basic. all of the cd's work on my cpu as well as my players in my house but when i try to play it in my car cd player, it does this odd thing where i can hear it spinning in the drive but it will not play. the tracks show on the screen but it will not play the song. the odd thing is though if i hit the button to change the track back and forth between tracks the songs that i have on the the disk will start playing but if i turn the car off of switch to the radio the cd will start to spin again but not play. i have some old mix cd's that i burned months ago and they work no problem, so it's not my cd player. am i just burning it in the wrong format. any help would be great.

2. JoeRyan

JoeRyan Active member

The car CD player is reading the table of contents section in the beginning of the disc but cannot read the beginning of the data section and lock onto the data spiral. There could be a number for reasons for this, and they generally fall in the category of groove geometry or reflectance angles not being able to offer signals that can be read by the drive. Jumping from track to track avoids the initialization problem, and your player can pick up the signal at that point in order to play; but it cannot initialize the discs.

The fact that your player and drives can play the discs means that the format is correct and that the discs are finalized (although having both Nero and Roxio on the same computer complicates the issue because the two often conflict with each other. Pick one and uninstall the other program to avoid conflicts. It is possible that the conflict is causing a problem, but that is not likely.)

Just because some CD-Rs work on the player does not eliminate the player as the cause of the problem. Its settings could be on one edge of tolerances while the discs' parameters could be on the other side of the tolerances, and the two may not work together. There is not enough evidence to determine which is at fault, the player, the discs, or the recording software; but you can most easily change one factor at a time by: First) using only one recording software on a computer system; and Second) changing brands to see if a different brand works better with your player.

3. wcupk

wcupk Member

i thought about it and the cd's i used say on them 52x 700mb 80 min and i burned them at 24x could the problem be i burned them at to high a speed and that is why i hear it spining in my car cd player but if i switch back and forth between tracks over again it will start to play after a while.

4. wcupk

wcupk Member

i dont think its the media because i had this problem with memorex blanks as well as verbatim lightscribe discs as well

5. JoeRyan

JoeRyan Active member

They are rated at 52X, and 24X may not be the best speed because IT'S TOO SLOW. Try using 32X to see if that makes a difference. Discs rated at high speeds use a fast-reacting dye that can be "overburned" at slower speeds unless your drive specifically has firmware written to reduce laser power properly at the slower speed. (52X speeds are mechanically questionable, but that's another story.)

6. wcupk

wcupk Member

i made a audio cd and the odd thing is once i get the first track to play, if i dont skip tracks or turn off the car and let it play it plays the cd no problem

7. JoeRyan

JoeRyan Active member

That's because the circuitry locks the OPU to the push-pull signal and stays locked until the end. It has trouble finding the start of the tracking signal; but once it has found it, it keeps it. This is typical behaviour for a drive as long as the disc is mechanically sound. Unbalanced or warped discs force the optical pickup unit to refocus so often that the push-pull signal gets lost, too; and nothing plays.

8. wcupk

wcupk Member

so do you think i burned the disc right and its the cd type not my cd player in the car

9. wcupk

wcupk Member

bump

10. piano632

piano632 Regular member

I have burnt CD's at 2x-4x speed on 48x rated media and they work fine, so to say that 24x is too slow is not necessarily correct. Burning at slow speed does make the pits easier to read, so it may help. But your problem may also be one of media quality. Memorex has never been known to be a high quality product. I would try a different brand of media and see if does the same thing.

11. JoeRyan

JoeRyan Active member

Most CD-Rs today use phthalocyanine dye which shows poor performance at speeds lower than 8X when looking at jitter results. This is a fast reacting dye designed for recordings at speeds from 6X to 52X. In many cases, CD-R recorders that operate at 1X cannot record on these types of discs.

Memorex uses the same CD-Rs as Verbatim, TDK, Maxell, and others. They also used to be Taiyo Yuden for a long time also. Many people consider those manufacturers to be high quality producers.

12. piano632

piano632 Regular member

OK, then try 8x.

13. wcupk

wcupk Member

i have just noticed that like i said in my first post when i put my cd in the player i can hear it spin but it near plays, well i put it in the player and just let it spin so after about 2 minutes of it spinning it played. so could that mean that my laser in my laptop which i use to burn could be going bad because it is getting weaker

14. JoeRyan

JoeRyan Active member

No. It's not getting weaker. It is just having a hard time locking onto the beginning of the audio tracks for some reason. Once it has found the spiral track, it seems to be OK reading it.

15. wcupk

wcupk Member

so its not the laser is it the type of cd i bought then. i just dont understand what has changed because i have never had this problem up until two months ago before i did not have to worry it always worked

16. JoeRyan

JoeRyan Active member

If that is the case, one other possibility is that the laser lens in the player needs cleaning. Residue from heat-induced vapors from materials in a car/truck can built up on it and block some of the light it places on the disc. Try cleaning it with a lens cleaner to see if that makes a difference. If not, try another type of CD-R; but check to make sure that even though the brands are different, the discs are not the same. (If the lens cleaning works, then it was the player all along.)

Last edited: Sep 4, 2007