1. This site uses cookies. By continuing to use this site, you are agreeing to our use of cookies. Learn More.

Memorex -- has ANYONE had luck with them?

Discussion in 'CD-R(W) Media' started by Praetor, Aug 21, 2003.

1. Praetor

Praetor Moderator Staff Member

I know Memorex has a bad reputation, both for CDR and CDRW but has anyone EVER had a good Memorex media? This also applies to whatever other brands have typically across-the-board, bad reputations (like Princo, although I have had some good luck with mine recently)

2. Matador

Matador Regular member

I have....I use both CD-r and RW.....I have some avi's that I burn 1.5 years ago and the disc still plays.

3. SevenOTwo

SevenOTwo Member

they always been good to me

4. Praetor

Damn... i wish i had your luck ;-)

5. mac71

mac71 Guest

Yeah I think it's just you Praetor...LOL...I don't think they like you ...hehehe

I use the Memorex CD-R all the time with no problem. I have several movies burned in svcd format on Memorex CDs that I play on my stand alone DVD player.

6. Praetor

-Waaaaaaah!-
    It must be! Because all the "4x" Memorex RWs i have are 2x... and i get lousy quality on CDRs grrrrrrr

7. mhoope02

mhoope02 Member

Most of my Memorexii are Prodisc and "not bad, not good" - although none have died yet, and I suppose a few must be > 3 years old now.

8. parrainx

parrainx Member

My first ever spindle was a Memorex bought about 2 years ago at Circuit City, still working. Since then i tried all sorts of stuff: Circit City, TDK, Imation, Emtec, Teon. I haven't had any problems with any of them, except with Imation that had corrupted avi's after burning (at 12x), but worked fine at 4x.

9. iplxphile

iplxphile Member

Just picked up a spindle of Memorex 48x/80min at Future Shop , and they turn out to be CMC magnetics..:-(

I sure wish some stores in Canada still sold Gigastore / cursor brand..

10. helenwu76

helenwu76 Guest

Thank for your advice because I just bought a Memerex package of CD-RW and I can return it

11. BillyG

BillyG Member

The best Memorex I ever got ahold of were the ones "Made In Japan" by Tayio Uden last year. The ones I had were 32x speed and worked great -I burned them at 40X with no problems. They came in a spindle with a screw on top simular to Fujifilm. Bought three 50 packs (separtly) for under 10 bucks after rebates.

I dont know if you can find those TY made CD-R's anymore, most of the new 48X Memorexes I have checked out are made by CMC or Prodisc. The Prodiscs are pretty good quality but not as good as TY. Stay way from the CMC made ones, they dont burn good at high speeds.

Memorex sources out all thier CD-R and CD-RW to different manufacturers, so you never know what youre going to get! Its always a crap shoot with them.

Last edited: Sep 15, 2003
  12. SadJoker

SadJoker Regular member

Memorex has never given me any problems really.. aside from My cheapass car stero burning a hole rite thru the memorex cd-rs I used I havent had no problems.

13. magnetic

magnetic Regular member

Hi,
    I've tried the Memorex CD-r's, in fact just got myself spindle of 100, am having no problems with them at all, sweet!!.

But saying that I've never had trouble with CD-r's, I've used many hundreds for data, music and VCD. My only problems related to the Burner, my very old HP burner (10x max burn speed) would crash only if I went over 6x, the TEAC drive (36x , i think) would be fine as long as memory was available. and my SONY DRU500ax is perfect at 26x for all.
    I've used brand x cd's, silver top, verbatim, kodac, memorex, ones with no name and top brands.
    Through all the burning I have realised the folowing; when you burn don't do anything else on the PC, have plenty of ram (minimum 128Mb on an old pc) and the burner is important to be of reasonable make.
    From looking at the posts, I'd suggest you review your burner 'cause you system looks good otherwise.
    m

14. Praetor

The burner's fine dude :) ASUS 522452A 1.35 ... I guess it was just hit and miss (or rather miss, miss, hit kinda, miss, miss,...)

15. jed1224

jed1224 Member

I recently purchased a 50 disk spindle of 48x Memorex cdr's. Nero 5.5 showed them to be 52x. Tried burning a number of them at different speeds and even different burners, and always got errors on both data and music disks. Contacted Memorex at their web site and explained my problems; they sent me a replacement spindle. (They have a form to fill out to ask for replacement disks. Apparently bad ones are common.) Nero showed these to be 32x disks, and they burned ok at that and slower speeds.
    I checked the disks using Nero CD Speed. The bad ones showing 52x were made by CMC Magnetics. Those showing 32x were made by Prodisc.
    My current burner is an Artec WSM-52x.
    Thought my experience might be interesting to some of you.

16. Praetor

Interesting indeed. Ive had nothing but good luck with CMC yet everyone around me tells me CMC is poo hehe. Oh well... whatever works :)

17. mr_xu

mr_xu Member

I'm owner of a Plextor CD Recorder W4824A. I cannot burn any of my 10 Memorex 24x 80min CDRW.
    I braught them back to the dealer. He burnt one without any problem...
    But I still cannot burn the CDs.
    What should I do?

Asus P4E, P4 1.7
    256MB RDRAM, Maxtor 40GB
    Leadtek GeForce 2MX

18. Matador

Matador Regular member

I just looked through my old cd-rs that i burn movies to.Like 1.5 -2 years and I found that all disc that have me Data error where in fact Memorex.I compared it to some TDK disc burn around the same time and no errors on those.

After I burned the disc's I just keep them in spindles so They can't realy get mest up.

I just realizes that I haven't bought any Memorex media like for a good year.TDK is workin find for audio and data.

19. mr_xu

mr_xu Member

Found the solution to burn memorex cdrw with plextor w4824a:
    Update firmware to v1.5 (from another forum)

Available on plextor website

20. alntht

alntht Guest

I've always used Memorex CD-Rs and they have always worked perfectly. However, I bought a pack of 5 RWs in Memorex and all were bad. Every one. Sucky. Never tried them for RWs again. But still good on the Rs :)