1. This site uses cookies. By continuing to use this site, you are agreeing to our use of cookies. Learn More.

Memorex -- has ANYONE had luck with them?

Discussion in 'CD-R(W) Media' started by Praetor, Aug 21, 2003.

1. Praetor

Praetor Moderator Staff Member

Yeah i guess im kinda in the same boat... Memorex RWs (King Pro MediaTekm 97m 27s 00f, 74m 30s 00f, LBA 335100) are poo..... they say 4X but nooooooo they dont burn at 4x worth crap hehe

2. magnetic

magnetic Regular member

60 memorex CD-r burnt perfectly for me, no fails

really suggest you look at your system, is burner on same IDE as Source drive, if so move one.

3. Praetor

Hehe my system is fine.... :p

4. dschmittz

dschmittz Member

i've been using memorex 4x on a hp 8200 cd-writer plus for a few years now with no problem - recently i bought the asus crw-5224 burner and still having a load of memorex blanks i bunged them into the asus only to experience nothing but grief - i emailed memorex and surprise surprise (so many of these contact email addresses seem to be excuses for black holes) i got a civil intelligent and prompt email back saying that i should check that my burner supported memorex - well needless to say i hadn't bothered figuring that a decent outfit like asus would support a reputable outfit such as memeorex but no - for reasons best known to asus they have chosen not to support memeorex - not even in the latest firmware (v1.36) - I also emailed asus but their contact email address seems to be of the black hole variety - i got myself a load of blank cmc magnetics - supported by the asus and now the asus works fine - would've saved myself a load of bother if i'd read the small print to start with

5. flanman

flanman Member

I have good luck with the memorex cd-r color media.

Last edited: Nov 5, 2003
  6. Praetor

Hehe I'm runnin the 522452A also (rev1.35), an excellent drive (latest firmware is 1.37)

Um... there isn't such thing as a burner not supporting a brand name of media (especially since "Memorex" doesnt make media). Any CD that conforms to some official standard is supported.

7. dschmittz

dschmittz Member

hello moderator - first off apologies for the spelling of memorex as memeorex

as to 'there isn't such thing as a burner not supporting a brand name of media' given that you are running the asus crw-5224 - well if you've still got the box it came in then take a look at specifications on one of the sides under which you'll see 'recommended disks' for both cd-r and cd-rw and listed (also in the manual) there you'll see amongst others such brand names as acer maxwell philips sony tdk and verbatim

what you do highlight however is my assumption (I now know better) that each of these outfits actually manufactures it's own disks when given that as you say 'Any CD that conforms to some official standard is supported.' then why bother when it is probably cheaper to buy them in - provided the quality control is there - unfortunately it would appear that this may not be the case if the newsgroup posts here and elsewhere are anything to go by

I've got verbatim made by mitsubishi and the assus 52x cd-r disk that came with the burner is attributed to acer - when one buys blanks one only gets the brand name to go by

added to all this it would also appear that different manufacturers interpret the standards differently - e.g. the asus softdoc accompanying the 1.36 firmware upgrade lists 'improve compatibility with some blank CD'

I've since flashed my asus to 1.37 - hasn't made any difference as far as the memorex disks are concerned but then I didn't expect it to as the 1.37 upgrade softdoc didn't list 'improve compatibility with some blank CD' as part of the upgrade

back to the memorex disks - after my initial post I took a look at one of these disks using 'nero infotool' and it listed under 'medium info' i.e. the manufacturer - 'infodisk' an outfit I've never heard of

the generic blanks I'm currently using which the asus is quite happy with are branded 'discrite' but flagged in nero infotool as 'gmc magnetics' which - if other newsgroup posts are any guide - generally get a good rating

8. Praetor

You will notice that they are only reccommended brands

Very true. That is the tool by which the marketing teams make use of.

The 1.10 firmware (raw default) supports damn near every Memorex Ive come across. With regards to the comment about improved compatibility this is more focused on brand new forms of media and really wierd media like the 900MB discs and 800MB Highspeed RWs or UltraSpeed RWs. Any media that you can find on the shelves (unless you buy brand spanking new media) then you shouldnt have any problems. Furthermore, memorex is not especially known for their tendency to juimp on the "innovative bandwagon"

Specifically, what media are you using?

9. gsuscrazy

gsuscrazy Regular member

one thing i have noticed, regardless of the brand, I have a horrid time using cdr's from walmart, no matter what the brand, i usually have issues, when i purchase them locally, or online, they have been alot more successful, maybe just by chance, but made a believer out of me.

10. richeva5

richeva5 Member

I haven't had any problems with Memorex media.
    Have you tried upgrading your "firmware" for the type of burner you are using?

11. chthomson

chthomson Regular member

Hi Praetor
    I was cleaning up a stack of discs the other day, tossing the bad ones and stacking the unused ones and filing the rest (not under G) In that pile was a number of white labeled Memorex 700mb CDR's. I checked them out and low and behold they were Ritek. Mind you the next one I checked was a CMC. To bad the ritek has throw away data on it

Cheers

12. kingpet

kingpet Member

praetor i can feel ur pain
    msi 52x/24x/52x cd-rw
    the memorex 52x cdr = all or nearly all failed on me
    is it my burner/system? no b/c i bought a imation cd-r
    pack and they all worked.
    just buy a different brand of cd-r

13. jedmag

jedmag Member

i have had nothing but bad luck with Memorex. i'm into live show trading, and if anyone sends cds to my house with memorex brand, i will personally drive to their house across the country and throw them in their face. :) they chip really easily. i'll always stick to my fuji. :)

just my two cents.

-Jed

14. Praetor

kingpet: there may actually be nothing wrong with Memorex discs per se and that is not really my quarrel with them. Specifically, my issue with them is that I buy say, 48x certified discs -- one would expect to be able to burn at 48x but nooooooooooooooooooooooooooooo..... i'm capped at 24x --- even though i normally burn at 24x anyways its a real pain in the arse because I know they are overcharging me for the supposed-high quality discs that are certified for 48x. Hehe. This issue where the label says one speed but in practice, you get another speed is worse with their CDRW discs (bought myself a super pack of 4X RWs back when 4X RWs just came out and were so hot -- an awesome price too until I found the discs were actually 2X discs but only burned reliably at 1X hehe.

To reiterate, my issue isnt that Memorex discs are unreliable (which they are), but rather that the label says that can are certified for one speed but they cant even be burned at those speeds! GRRRRRRRRR!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!! :)
    _X_X_X_X_X_[small]ASUS A7V8X-X, AMD2500+
    Samsung 1024MB, PC2700
    360GB [3x120GB, 7200, 8MB]
    MSI Starforce, GeForce4 Ti4400 128MB

Rules and Policies: http://forums.afterdawn.com/thread_view.cfm/2487
    AFTERDAWN IRC: irc.addictz.net, #ad_buddies
    COME SAY HI![/small]

Last edited: Jan 3, 2004
  15. buses7675

buses7675 Member

Hi All,

I've used loads of Memorex 24x CD-R discs in my 4x burner (to be upgraded shortly to a 52x Lite On drive!) - I've had no problems whatsoever with any of these discs (some from 25 pack spindles, others from 10 packs with cases)!

I just hope when I order my next lot they are as good as these, I intend to get some Memorex 52x CD-Rs on 25 spindles! Not sure what the exact manufacturer of the disks I've had is, but they are sold in the UK, not sure what most likely one is!

Thanks

Steve Dave