1. This site uses cookies. By continuing to use this site, you are agreeing to our use of cookies. Learn More.

Memory Card Specs??

Discussion in 'PC hardware help' started by ima49311, Dec 6, 2007.

1. ima49311

ima49311 Regular member

im looking into different memory cards right now and am getting quite confused by all the specs being thrown around.. so here are my questions:

is there a big difference between ddr2 and ddr3 if the mem size is the same?
    is there a big difference between 128bit and 256bit?
    is there a big difference in performace with a core clock difference of like 50 or 75mhz?

is there 1 or 2 specs that REALLY make a difference when purchasing a new video card or do they all kinda compliment each other as whole to decide... hope that makes sense..

thanks in advance

2. sammorris

sammorris Senior member

So what are you actually buying here, RAM or a Graphics card?
    In either case you need to make sure it's compatible with your motherboard, so if it's RAM you're after, you want DDR1 not DDR2 or DDR3. However, 2GB should suffice unless you're building a new PC.
    If it's a graphics card you need, then the memory types are simply indications of how good the memory on the card is. GDDR3 and GDDR4 are the two types to look for right now, but in all honesty, they are irrelevant compared to the actual performance of the architecture. My best advice to you is to state your budget, and I'll find the best deal on RAM or a graphics card for you.

3. ima49311

ima49311 Regular member

ok, im looking for a new VIDEO CARD.. my budget is going to be around $200 (give or take a LITTLE). thanks for the help.

4. Waymon3X6

Waymon3X6 Regular member

Before sam recommends it, a 3870 from ati (about 250, but worth the price) will play basically play any game out there right now. If you cant afford the extra $50, then a 3850 from ATi will do great as well.

5. sammorris

sammorris Senior member

Indeed. The HD3800 series will certainly do well enough.

6. REAM

REAM Guest

PS just for advice, its DDR1, for you, but if you had a newer computer, DDR2, is the sweet spot for RAM.

its always better to get a bigger XXX-bit bandwidth card.

and GDDR3 or 4, are better for GPU.

i would recommend the HD3850. or the x1950pro, which can be had for about $150 dollars IICR.

what PSU do you have?