1. This site uses cookies. By continuing to use this site, you are agreeing to our use of cookies. Learn More.

memory conflicts???? sdram

Discussion in 'PC hardware help' started by ppiper, Oct 18, 2004.

1. ppiper

ppiper Member

ok people heres one for memory--is it wise to run 2 512mb chips with a 256 or just the 2 512s will these conflict? 2 512mbs of kingston and 1 256mb of generic also 3 slots shuttle ak11 ancient amd 1.2 trying to get this pc going right 3 slots on the motherboard should it go 2 512s then the 256 or 256 then the 2 512s --trying to get the best results without corrupted files

2. Jerry746

Jerry746 Senior member

I rebuilt one of my older computers just for dvd burning so I don't have to worry about multitasking on line while burning. Its a AMD 1.8 processor with a 512mb strip in slot one and a 256mb strip in slot 2. No problems with it in any way. I can rip and burn a single layer movie in about 30 minutes or less. Your system is very similar so I don't see why you should have a problem unless the MB doesn't like that setup.

Jerry

3. Neuro42

Neuro42 Guest

As long as they are identical in all other ways.

ECC or Non ECC same speed in MHz, etc etc

I don't think CL would be important it should all drop to the highest latency and even MHz will auto adjust to a point.

I am running 2 512 sticks in a dual channel boarad (ASUS A7N8X) and a 256 in the other DIMM slot. No probs here

4. Nephilim

Nephilim Moderator Staff Member

Wrong forum. Thread moved :)

5. ddp

ddp Moderator Staff Member

what does the mb manual, can it handle double sided ram or just single sided ram. if the 512 are double sided does show a 1gig or 512. just in case when you put the 2-512 & the 256 in & get 768meg instead of 1.2gig. come across that a couple of times

6. ppiper

ppiper Member

this pc rocks yup jerry does a movie in 35 40 min and dvd xcopy works excellent on it 25 min got a 512 and a 256 chip pc133 gonna put another 512 WILL THIS MATTER JERRY? if i put another 512? 2 bad this isnt a ddr board? ddr is faster than sdram right? THATS WAHT I WAS TOLD? BUT IT DOESNT SEEM THATS THE CASE IN THSI SITUATION. now i need to ask where in the world could i find a video card for this shuttle ak11 amd1.2 ghtz i looked everywhre? CAN I STICK A DDR VIDEOCARD IN THIS MOST OF THEM ARE ALL DDR VIDEOCARDS? WONDERING I NEED A VIDEOCARD AND A SOUND CARD IM KEEPING THIS ONE ITS GOOD RELIABLE AND FAST GOT A OLD DVD burner a KANO in it only makes +r media and only burns at 2 to 4x max but the movies ans games i made r perfect dont need a p4 lol everything works all programs i put on it VERY GOOD but im not gona put sevice pak 2 YET mabe in 6 mos if u could ANY ONE COULD U TELL ME WHRERE TO GET A VIDEO CARD FOR THIS AND A SOUND GOT 1X AGP (4x AGP) 6X PCI ON BOARD AUDIO AC97 VIA SOCKET A 1x CNR its hard to find anything about this motherboard looked everywhere.

7. ddp

wheres the closes computer store to you, you can still get 4x agp videocards for about $47Can.(PowerColor ATI Radeon 7000 64meg 4x)

8. Jerry746

Jerry746 Senior member

ppiper, Here is a link for PCI video cards. From 32 mb to 128 mb cards. Price from $25. to $120. Should also have audio cards there too.

http://www.tigerdirect.com.

Most of my computer stuff comes from these guys.

Jerry

9. ppiper

ppiper Member

thanks guys looking for a all in one tv in and out a tv tuner that will work with this mboard

10. ddp

ATI radeon7000 64meg ddr 4x agp DVI/CRT/TV for $47

11. SPIKISH

SPIKISH Guest

Hi guys, im slightly confused on how to deal with my dual channel memory motherboard.? Neways, my question is can i place a single 512mb memory chip along with 2 dual paired 128mb memory chips. Meaning, i have a pair of 128 memory chips equaling 256mb to start with. My dimension 8300 came with these two memory chips working as dual memory chips. I wanna know if i can place a single 512mb and if i can, how is the best way to do it. My motherboard supposedly works better with the memory chips placed in pairs, i wanna know if i put in a 3rd 512mb memory chip (not paired with another one just by itself along with the 2 128mb), maybe on like the third slot or wherever its best deserved to be in, will there be any conflict or worse, will it even work.

thanx alot guys, ill reply quickly to all responses...

12. ianski7

ianski7 Guest

Hey Spikish!

This link is specific to your board and should answer your questions.

http://support.dell.com/support/edocs/systems/dim8300/sm/memory.htm

Your board follows the norm--you can drop 512mb in next appropriate slot(see link)but possibly with a reduction in performance.

In a perfect world, dropping 2x256mb of the same speed and make of ram would be ideal:But we don't live in a perfect world.....do we!

13. SPIKISH

SPIKISH Guest

good looking out ian,

rock on