1. This site uses cookies. By continuing to use this site, you are agreeing to our use of cookies. Learn More.

Memory upgrade

Discussion in 'PC hardware help' started by mewbank, Dec 9, 2007.

1. mewbank

mewbank Member

I have recently upgraded my computer RAM from 512mb(2x 256mb) to 1024mb(2x 512). THe orignal memory was PC2700 DDR 333 Mhz, the new memory is PC3200 DDR 400Mhz.
    If I install the old memory along side the new memory, will this compromise the performance of the new memory. I understand that by running 2 different speeds, the computer will run at the slowest speed. i.e 333Mhz.

Which config would give the best performance
    a) 2x 515mb @ 400Mhz (1054mb total RAM)

b) 2x 512mb @ 400Mhz, + 2x 256mb @333Mhz (1068mb total RAM)

Can anyone shed any light on this ?

2. phill2000

phill2000 Guest

Your system would run at the slowest speed available (333Mhz) to ensure compatibility. If it ran at the faster spped (400Mhz) your slower memory would fail, causing your system to crash.

I guess the configuration of your DIMM sockets is purely down to what your trying to achieve. If the RAM speed was a bottleneck in your system you wont be solving anything by putting it back in, as it will still run at the same speed.

If you bought the memory just to increase your overall system RAM then putting both types in would definately work.

This is actually 1024mb + 512mb = 1536Mb total

3. mewbank

mewbank Member

Thanks for that info

I bought the upgrade to improve the general performance of the computer. I have started to work with several applications open at the same time, and i found the computer would stall/crash at times.
    I was advised to increase the memory.

What advantages/disadvantages is there in running the higher memory config with the lower 333Mhz speed, over the lower memory config with the higher speed.??

4. phill2000

phill2000 Guest

Well this would depend completely on the speeds of your system. What CPU / motherboard do you have?

5. Zer0ink

Zer0ink Regular member

stall/crash at times may not have been the lack of memory available unless you were running Vista instead of XP @ 512MB

If you were running XP and not running really tough video editing sofeware you should not have have memory problems. Even with the extra RAM you may not notice a difference.

If you have onboard video instead of a video card put the 512 400mhz in bank 0 (usually closest one to processor). On board video uses bank 0 and best to put the largest module in it.