1. This site uses cookies. By continuing to use this site, you are agreeing to our use of cookies. Learn More.

MEMORY

Discussion in 'PC hardware help' started by iraj, Apr 16, 2004.

1. iraj

iraj Regular member

I have asus k7s8x mainbord with Amd Athlom xp 2400
    and 256 MB memory in windows xp opration.
    It is possible I put two extra 64 mb memory in mainborad?if is possible ,wahts will happen?
    the speed will go up? or !!!!!?
    How can I know how many memory can i used in mainborad? is that belong to type of mainborad or somthing else
    iraj

2. ken0042

ken0042 Regular member

If you don't know what type of memory your computer takes, or how many slots you have open, I'd take it to a computer shop that sells memory. Most of the reputable ones charge little or nothing to install it; they'd rather spend 5 minutes putting it in than worrying if somebody damages it.

Besides, odds are your computer takes DDR memory, and they don't make those in 64 MB sticks.

3. forkman

forkman Member

As I understand it with ddr memory you have to double it up, for example if you have 256 mb's in one module you then have to place another 256 module next to it or if its 2 / 128 mod's you would put 1 or more 128 mod's in the available slots.
    If you put the 2 /64 mod's in being older memory it will probably slow your Pc down.
    Its alway best to match your memory to what you have Ie Pc100 to Pc400 it runs better.

4. woof811

woof811 Regular member

if i was you i would put in another 256 stick of memory , but iff you can afford it 512 would be better , adding more memory will speed up your computer .
    iff your not sure what type of memory to buy take the outer case off your computer and have a look inside you dont have to touch anything , it should say on the side of your original memory stick what type it is , ill guess its ddr333 or possibly ddr400 .
    you normally have 3 slots for memory sometimes more, the more memory you can put in the better your computer will run.

5. forkman

forkman Member

Sorry what i meant to say was Pc100 to Pc100 or Pc400 to Pc400 not Pc100 to Pc400 Ie match it Duh.

6. iraj

iraj Regular member

There is 4 slots in mainborad and one of them has 256 mb.
    Is that max: memory can my pc take ?
    I have two 64 mb memory at home .
    if i put them in mainborad thas will be 256+128 mb
    than speed will go up or not? is that good idea?

7. woof811

woof811 Regular member

just make sure the two 64 meg sticks your thinking of putting in are compatible with the motherboard ie ddr ram or sdram .
    sdram is for older motherboards.
    ddr ram is for newer motherboards.

8. DarkmanX

DarkmanX Regular member

Dude!!! To eliminate any confusion as to what you have installed by the manufacturer, go to www.crucial.com. They sell very good, reliable memory; but I'm not promoting them. On there site there is a search that when you input some basic info about your machine, they'll tell you what type of memory you have.
    _X_X_X_X_X_[small]Silent Assasin[/small]

Last edited: Apr 16, 2004
  9. chthomson

chthomson Regular member

Hi iraj
    I looked up the mainboard (http://www.asrock.com/product/product_k7s8x.htm) and it has 3 slots for DDR ram. The board can support depending on the speed of the ram 3G of ram

I hope this helps

PS I run at least 512 in ram on the four machines at home. Two machines have a gig of ram each. It does make a difference.

Last edited: Apr 16, 2004
  10. Praetor

Praetor Moderator Staff Member

iraj: I wouldnt go for 64MB DDR DIMMS (simply because either they are the ancient type or they dont exist). Start counting at the 512MB and you'll not regret it: RAM is fairly cheap and prolly one of the few "idiot proof" things to install (if ya's got common sense). :)