1. This site uses cookies. By continuing to use this site, you are agreeing to our use of cookies. Learn More.

Memory

Discussion in 'PC hardware help' started by tonyleo01, Nov 11, 2004.

1. tonyleo01

tonyleo01 Member

Hi, I'm trying to add more memory ram. I'm pretty sure that my computer use ddr pc2700. My question is: can you put different kind of memory like 3000 or 4000 ddr? I'm kinda interest in this HyperX pc 4000 but don't know if it's compatible.
    Thank you for your time.

2. ianski7

ianski7 Guest

Hey

For best performance, ram should be up to specks of your motherboard,the same manufacturer, density(single sided or double sided chips), the same size(256MB,512Mb) and the same speed. If you mix ram, at the very best the ram will work at the lowest speed of the different sticks.(3200 and 4000 will run at 3200).At the very worst you could have an unstable system or one that wont boot at all. You can get away with different manufacturers but the other criteria should be met.

Check your motherboard for ram speed,size, and density.

3. tonyleo01

tonyleo01 Member

man,that sounds complicated. So you're saying that if I mix 256 and 512, it's not gonna be that good? Even though I it's the same pc2700 ddr? I'm sorry I'm such a noobs.... btw my computer can take up to 2gb of rams. What'd happen if I exceed that compacity? Thank you again for your time.

4. ianski7

ianski7 Guest

Hey

It's not that complicated once you understand memory and the restrictions of motherboards.
    To answer the second question, if you exceed 2Gb it would be a waste. The motherboard can't use the memory so your wasting your money installing +2Gb on that board.
    If you mix 256 and 512 you can be trouble free but for optimal(so motherboard manufactuters say)performance you should use the same size. I have seen many boards with mixed memory size and they run fine. I have also seen a few where i had to match the memory to get rid of little and sometimes large problems.
    If your going to mix sizes, be sure to get identical speeds(2700) and density(single/double sided chips)and you should be fine.Also be sure to buy to spec of board with respect to ECC/NonECC-you probably have non ECC.Check the board documentation to be sure.

Last edited by a moderator: Nov 13, 2004
  5. tonyleo01

tonyleo01 Member

Hey, that helps a lot. Thanks for your time; I appreciate it.

6. ianski7

ianski7 Guest

Hey

.............Anytime.