1. This site uses cookies. By continuing to use this site, you are agreeing to our use of cookies. Learn More.

merging mpeg files

Discussion in 'MPEG-1 and MPEG-2 encoding (AVI to DVD)' started by rjpc, Apr 30, 2005.

1. rjpc

rjpc Guest

Hi to everybody.
    Need some help to merge mpeg files.
    I have downloaded a movie, extracted bin and cue files and converted to mpeg with vcdgear. I am trying to merge them all into 1 mpeg file with tmpgenc xpress and when i go to encode it tells me that i have not enough space in my hard drive. The file is 4.5 gb and i have over 20gb in my hard drive.
    Can anybody tell me what is the problem? i would also appreciate a solution!!
    Thank you

2. shiroh

shiroh Guest

tmpgenc

3. rjpc

rjpc Guest

thanks for the reply. i use tmpgenc and the the following mpeg tools, merge and cut, add all three mpeg files and then select and output name and run. Is this right?
    Do i need to merge it as mpeg1 or mpeg2 super vcd?
    Do i need to do anything with the multiplex tabs?
    Thank you

4. shiroh

shiroh Guest

you can't join mpeg1 and 2 together. they're different format.
    multiplex is for combining the audio and video and maybe subtitle into mpeg container.

basically you're doing it right.
    remember that it will combined starting with key frames. so it will not be perfect to every frame you want.
    keyframe usually when theres scene change. or after like every 8 frames ?

5. aldaco12

aldaco12 Active member

You correctly made 'dat --> mpeg' ('mpeg --> mpeg' for SVCD movies) with VCDGear.

And remember: 'authoring' is different from 'encoding'; therefore you received the 'size error' in TMPGenc Xpress.
    You can 'author' DVD containing many (S)VCD movies with DVDLab (http://www.afterdawn.com/guides/archive/vcd_to_dvd-r.cfm for VCD, http://www.afterdawn.com/guides/archive/multiple_svcd_on_dvdr.cfm for SVCD) but you'll be able to fit only 1 [and being careful with the proper bitrate to use, if you're not using a double layer DVD] movie if you try to make a DVD movie from a VCD movie (and the final quality will be equal to VCD's)!

If you try to insert multiple VCD movies, you need to carefill 'merge' the 2 parts which you got from the 2 CDs, because the movies could be badly cut (the 2 parts could overlap..). That's what shiroh is telling you..

Ah, in 'Merge & Cut' you can choose, as type, the movie you're joining (MPEG-1 Video-CD or MPEG-2 SuperVideo-CD depending on what you're joining: VCD or SVCD halves?), so the header will be correct, as if you had a just encoded movie.

Last edited: May 2, 2005