1. This site uses cookies. By continuing to use this site, you are agreeing to our use of cookies. Learn More.

Merging Subtitles Files

Discussion in 'Subtitle help' started by HenryCan, Mar 19, 2012.

1. HenryCan

HenryCan Member

Are there any tools around to help me merge two subtitles files in SRT format?

The situation is that I have a film which is a single file in MPG format but the subtitles for the film span two files. Both of the SRT files start at 0 so clearly they were meant for a version of the film that was split into two files. I'm not having any luck finding either a two-file version of the film or a one-file version of the subtitles so I thought I'd merge the SRT files since they are simple text files. (If it's simpler to slice the MPG file into two parts where I can choose the exact spot to make the slice, please tell me how to do that instead.)

Physically copying the two SRT files into one file isn't a problem but, since the second SRT file starts from 0 instead of roughly an hour and 10 minutes into the film, I need to edit each and every start and end time in the second SRT file to make it sync up with the film. Therefore, the start and end times for the first subtitle in the second half of the film needs to change from 00:00:06,360 --> 00:00:08,954
    to roughly 01:10:06,360 --> 01:10:08,954. And the same needs to be done for each other entry in the file. That's a time-consuming and error prone bit of work so I was wondering if there are any free tools that I can use to do this for me in seconds instead of hours?

2. attar

attar Senior member

Required:
    SubResync (part of VOBSub)
    Subtitle Workshop

Run SubResync.
    Open the second .srt file.

On the first sub:
    Left Click:then Right Click (circle is now green)
    Again Left Click and hold the button for a second then release.
    You can now edit the time and left click anywhere on the pane to accept the new time.
    All the times in the Preview column should change.
    On the lower image notice that all the times have changed in the Preview column.
    Save the new .srt file.

[​IMG]

Run Subtitle Workshop
    Tools > Join Subtitles.
    Load the .srt files in correct order and 'Join' > Save with the joined name.

http://www.videohelp.com/tools/VobSub

http://www.videohelp.com/tools/Subtitle-Workshop

3. HenryCan

HenryCan Member

Thank you very much, Attar! I'll give this a try and come back if I have problems.

Thanks again!

4. HenryCan

HenryCan Member

Sorry to bug you again but I'm having trouble with these instructions.

I went to the Vobsub link and noticed that it said Vobsub was part of VirtualDub so I assumed I'd need to install that first. I downloaded VirtualDub but had trouble installing it: the only thing that looked like an installer was called auxsetup.exe but after running that, I still have no icon or anything. If I click on VirtualDub.exe, I get a window with a whole bunch of options but I don't know what, if anything, I need to do.

I also downloaded Vobsub and ran Vobsub.exe. It actually adds a Vobsub entry to "All Programs" (I'm using XP SP3 32 bit.). However, when I click on SubResync, nothing happens. I'm guessing that VobSub isn't property integrated with VirtualDub? Anyway, I have no idea what to do now.

I've installed Subtitle Workshop but there's not much I can do with that until I get SubResync working.

Can you please tell me what I need to do to get SubResync to work?

5. attar

attar Senior member

The VirtualDub part is not relevant - after installing VobSub (recall there was a 'Utilities' portion when you installed it?) they should now be available in Start > All programs > VobSub.

6. HenryCan

HenryCan Member

So, just to be clear, I don't need to install VirtualDub in any way? I can even delete it from my hard drive? (There's no entry for it in Add/Remove Programs and no icon or entry for it in Start > All Programs.)

I initially did the "typical" install and it didn't ask me anything about VirtualDub so that it could connect the two. VobSub was visible under Start > All Programs but when I chose VobSub and clicked on SubResync, nothing happened.

Just to see if it made any difference, I tried the "Full" install of VobSub just now and this time it asked me where VirtualDub was. But when I clicked on Browse to point at its folder, it didn't like that folder and cancelled the rest of the installation!

I just tried the "Typical" install again (after making sure that VobSub is not in Add/Remove programs). All of the four Utilities options are checked but only "VobSub for Direct Show" is selected under the Plugins heading. The install completed without errors and without asking about VirtualDUb but when I click on SubResync (or SubMux) in Start > All Programs > VobSub, nothing happens. No window, no error message. The other options all bring up windows (except Uninstall, which I didn't try). Do I need to configure something in "Direct VobSug Configure"??

7. attar

attar Senior member