1. This site uses cookies. By continuing to use this site, you are agreeing to our use of cookies. Learn More.

messed with winsxs folder and now cant boot to login screen

Discussion in 'Windows - General discussion' started by hypersoni, Oct 7, 2007.

1. hypersoni

hypersoni Regular member

Ok, heres the story. I was trying to delete group policy and so I was looking for all policy folders and deleting them because I trued editing them but nothing happened. So I found the policy folder in winsxs and I thought it was just another policy folder so i deleted the contents wthin the winsxs folder that related to policies. I did this in directory services restore mode and i rebooted. After I logged in, all the icons on the desktop and taskbar and start menu and everything else were gone. So then I rebooted into restore mode and I went to the recycle bin and i restored everything back to its place and rebooted. Now I cant even get to login screen. It just stays on blue screen before login window. At this point, I just want my computer to work again. I could care less about group policy now, but I dont want to reinstall windows. What can I do? I have Hiren's Boot cd if that helps at all but Im stuck on what to do with it.

Btw, Im using windows xp pro with domains.

2. nownthen

nownthen Regular member

The windows disc has a repair option if you boot with it.

3. hypersoni

hypersoni Regular member

you are too late. i already got it repaired. thanks though.