1. This site uses cookies. By continuing to use this site, you are agreeing to our use of cookies. Learn More.

messenger problems

Discussion in 'All other topics' started by tbizzle, Apr 16, 2007.

1. tbizzle

tbizzle Member

Well I have spent hours on trying to figure out why my instant messenger will not work and I have tryed just about everything I can think of. Reinstalling MSN, yahoo, AIM. Every tyme I get an eroor message saying there could be a problem with tha proxy server or something? I've tryed troubleshooting.
    Well It worked at my friends house before I got it with a cable connection. Mine is wireless comcast using a router that is upstairs. Is that why its not working? Cause my brother also has a wireless using tha same connection, and It works fine for him.
    I've gone into the router settings, TCP/IP properties, messenger settings, enabled it in my firewall, and I've looked on tha internet! I really want to figure out why this doesnt work, and finally be able to talk with everybody.

2. rav009

rav009 Active member

What's the exact error code?

3. tbizzle

tbizzle Member

[removed]Heres tha screen shot.

Last edited: Apr 21, 2007
  4. rav009

rav009 Active member

I suggest you take that pic out, spammers will get your email address :p

To solve your problem do the following:

1. Click Start, and then click Run.
    2. In the Open box, type regsvr32 softpub.dll and then click OK.
    3. Restart MSN Messenger.

[​IMG]

5. tbizzle

tbizzle Member

Now it says "Unable to connect to the SOCKS proxy server. Check your proxy server settings on tha Connection tab."

6. rav009

rav009 Active member

What's the exact error code this time?

7. tbizzle

tbizzle Member

That was tha error message. something about tha SOCKS proxy server. IDK what SOCKS is tho? anywayz, it said click on tha connections tab, but where is that? Tha control panel somewhere? I typed in tha information in RUN, and it said it was sucessful. SO I will try it again. Im trying both, msn messenger, and live messenger.

8. tbizzle

tbizzle Member

Ok now I think I know why messenger is not working? iv'e been using firefox and it works fine, and I just realized my internet exploror doesn't work. It trys to load a page, and then it says there was an error every time. And I looked at all of the settings In windows live that tests out all of them. Tha TCP settings work. but then it says for tha proxy server "SOCKS Blank 1080, then username and password?" I dont know what to put in right here? and also it has an option to "set HTTP Proxy server and port using internet explorer." It shows HTTP with my IP address in grey, and also a username and password, which I dont have. But it keeps saying "connecting to tha server...
    connected, verifying ability to send data now...
    unable to connect (80072efd)"

9. pushaboy

pushaboy Member

The same exact thing happen with me......I also have comcast...and the comcast guy came over and hooked everything up because i just signed up for the telephone service. What do we do to solve this problem? I cant sign in to any of my messengers and my Internet explorer doesnt work also.....but for some reason Mozilla Firefox does......Please help!!!!