1. This site uses cookies. By continuing to use this site, you are agreeing to our use of cookies. Learn More.

Micro sd capacity on R4DS

Discussion in 'Nintendo DS' started by taker0, Jan 22, 2008.

1. taker0

taker0 Member

i have a new r4ds and was wondering if i can use a 4gb micro sd or a 2 gb micro sd because right now i only have the 1 gb and it gets full too quick. i read that 4gb cards are too big just need someone to give me some more info about this.

thanks.

2. dragnandy

dragnandy Regular member

If its SDHC, sd high capacity, then no. if it isnt, then yes, but it is HIGHLY unlikely that there are any 4gb SDHC because i heard they were quickly discontinued after SDHC.

3. taker0

taker0 Member

i just looked at the FAQ on r4ds offical website and here is what it says.

Q: How many files can I have on the R4?
    A: R4 Adapter supports 128MB~4GB TF(MicroSD) card , 4GB=32Gbit

is this correct? can anyone confirm that 4gb will work?

4. snorlax22

snorlax22 Regular member

I run a 2Gb regular microSD in mine without any hitches at all.

I could be wrong, but I thought when you get to 4 GB you moved to SDHC land, which won't work in an R4, I don't think. I see a 2GB SD on the Kingston site, but their 4GB product is SDHC. Sandisk is the same (see http://www.sandisk.com/Products/Catalog(1117)-SanDisk_microSD_andmicroSDHCCards.aspx ). There may have been a brief period when 4GB SD and 4GB SDHC coexisted, but I don't see anything on Google to suggest 4 GB SD is available anymore if it ever was.

5. DDRgod922

DDRgod922 Regular member

maybe next update or so they might make the r4s compatible with sdhc. but has any1 actually tried using sdhc??? i mean it looks the EXACT same thing as the normal micro sd. maybe they just decided to make the name look kooler? lol

6. snorlax22

snorlax22 Regular member

Sandisk says:

"The SD High Capacity (SDHC™) card and the miniSD High Capacity (miniSDHC™) card are the new SD™ memory cards based on the SDA 2.00 specification, introduced by the SD Card Association. This new SDA 2.00 specification enables SD cards to reach higher capacities: 4GB - 32GB*.

Because SDHC and miniSDHC cards are recognized by new SDHC and miniSDHC host devices differently than standard SD and miniSD cards, they are not backwards compatible with legacy SD and miniSD format host devices. Standard SD and miniSD cards are forward compatible with new SDHC and miniSDHC host devices.

Legacy SD/miniSD host devices and SD/miniSD cards (up to 2GB) are FAT 16 file system compatible, while the new SDA version 2.00 file system specification defines a SD FAT 32 file system for the new SDHC/miniSDHC host devices and cards."

I think the microSD cards run out of mapping numbers for memory at 4GB using FAT16. To get higher capacity they switched to a different mapping and different standard and sacrificed backwards caompatibility.

7. silk42

silk42 Regular member

I can verify that my SDHC card will not work in my R4DS. However, it works perfectly fine in my M3DS Real. Of course, I knew that was the case when I bought the R4. I simply like the R4 interface better than the M3, especially when scrolling the games menu (but that's another topic).

8. taker0

taker0 Member

9. snorlax22

snorlax22 Regular member

Pay the extra 2 bucks and go with the Kingston, would be my reccomendation.

10. silk42

silk42 Regular member

I think you should buy the Kingston as opposed to the generic. Plus, when I clicked on the links, it was only $1 more for the Kingston and it was in stock. The generic was listed as "pre-order".

11. aliasemai

aliasemai Member

R4DS.com website says it will support up to 4GB SD either Fat16 or FAT32. I tested with Kingston 4GB Micros SD High Capacity and will only show words "loading" but will never boot on DS Lite.

anyone else have success with 4GB SDHC?

thanks.

12. joliverio

joliverio Member

So far I know only DSTT accepts SDHC (www.ndstt.com/english/index_en.htm). I have both R4 and DSTT, the advantage for DSTT obvioulsy is the high capacity. I already used SDHC with 6GB and 8 GB and works perfectly. Also I used the TRIM feature, software available in the R4 website that can Trimm the ROM size (the trimmer software delete the unused ROM) and you also can save a lot of space and put more games inside the memory for either R4 or DSTT products.

13. AGE1039

AGE1039 Member

I don't know if anyone's given up completely on this thread, but I googled my problem and this place came up. I recently bought a second R4DS from:

http://www.divineo.com/cgi-bin/div-us/hb-ds-r4

The first one I bought was a regular R4DS with a MicroSD limit of 2GB. That one works perfectly fine. I got a second one from that same link, but to my suprise, what I got was a R4DS cartridge that took Micro SD cards of 4 Gigs and up. And the SDHC initials are printed on the box and on the cartridge label. The problem is that I just bought a 4GB SDHC Micro SD card and the thing doesn't work. All I get is the loading screen for the R4DS, nothing else. I copied everything over to the 4 Gig (including the kernel) and I'm not getting a thing. So, I don't know if I'm not doing something right, but seems like the R4DS upgrade to SDHC isn't working well ... or should I say not at all.

14. defmnowxy

defmnowxy Member

You forgot that the r4ds-III also supports sdhc. I have a 32 gb sandisk sdhc micro and it works perfect.Just because the product is not 100% official doesnt mean its useless.I also have the original 2nd gen r4ds and if i had to choose from the two i would prefer it would be the upgrade r4ds-III.Not just that i was reading around and i heard that the r4ds-II stopped a while ago because their team split up but since new devs are working on the r4ds-III that one will get upgrades while the 2nd gen one will be left in the dust.Im just warning you people and saying now that youve read this the better choice would be r4ds-III.The trusted site i got it from was www.r4dsusa.com.

15. joliverio

joliverio Member

If you did everything right, and seems that you did, I guess your cartridge have defect or is not compatible with the SDHC memory brand that you have. This is a new R4DS that accepts SDHC, now they improve their product and no memory size limitation as before. I dont have this product because I already have a DSTT with SDHC feature but I should say that R4DS III should have a better assembling quality than DSTT. My DSTT is working fine but comparing with my R4DS 1st generation, the materials used in DSTT seems weaker than R4DS,specially the memory slot...

16. card4couk

card4couk Guest

spam edited by ddp

Last edited by a moderator: Aug 8, 2008
  17. silk42

silk42 Regular member

I'm curious how you were able to get a 32 GB micro sdhc card from SanDisk, when they don't currently make them. Can you let the rest of us know where you bought it so we can get one as well?

18. AGE1039

AGE1039 Member

I found out my problem: the Kernel. Apparently there are many R4DS sites out there, and after some thorough digging, I found the right Kernel for the SDHC cartridge.

19. rdxtreme

rdxtreme Regular member

i thought R4 was dead and they switched to N4 or something.

i've been using my R4 since january 2007 and last updated in june 2007

20. defmnowxy

defmnowxy Member

originally posted by silk42:I'm curious how you were able to get a 32 GB micro sdhc card from SanDisk, when they don't currently make them. Can you let the rest of us know where you bought it so we can get one as well?

Ok here it is i dont know f you heard about psp modding but this basically like the same stuff.Awhile ago i was searching qj.net for some stuff and i found out how to make a bigger memory stick for the psp basically what you need is an adaptor that hooks up multiple psp memsticks to make a bigger one.I searched on the net and found out how to make one for sd micro's.What i did was just that with 3 8gb sandisk microsd cards."What u need:3 8gb sandisk microsd w/adaptor to make regular sd cards 1.3 way camera adaptor for bigger storage 1.sd to micro sd converter.Thats it.BTW i made the sd to microsd converter by simple modding i dont know if they sell them in stores.But it worked for me try it out if you want to.And yes it seemed like alot of work but it was worth it.

Last edited: Aug 8, 2008