1. This site uses cookies. By continuing to use this site, you are agreeing to our use of cookies. Learn More.

Microsoft illegal software detection in updates

Discussion in 'Windows - Software discussion' started by beerlover, Jan 27, 2006.

1. umug

umug Regular member

At the risk of sounding like a Smart Arse Daniel_G, You have of course got proof to back up those allegations, a link to a reputable website would be OK.

I hear of and read many Urban Legends on the Internet and although quite often they are spread by well meaning intelligent people they are still Urban Legends.

I've yet to hear of one person who has been prosecuted or even contacted by Micro$oft on the basis of a few MRU's which may or may not be transmitted, especially as you have already told us they are obtained illegally. Imagine the fun Lawyers would have with that in court ;)

Ad-Aware classifies MRU's as:

http://www.lavasoftnews.com/ms/display_main.php?tac=MRU List

2. Daniel_G

Daniel_G Guest

Being a smart ass would imply you trying to mess around, you merely asked for evidence/proof, which is just fair ;)

The problems that occured with microsucks antispyware and msn plus where discussed here : http://www.msgplus.net/news_old.php under the title :
    "Petition to save messenger plus"

*Reasons weren't given by microsucks on why they all of a sudden started flagging msn plus as spyware (there is only speculation, no tangible evidence i'm affraid) but since it happened after a (then) recent surge of new downloads (which would = new users), one can easily draw his conclusions on why, it could well be they didn't like all their msn users fiddling around with the software *

Also, i am well aware of the fact that MS can't sue anyone on grounds of mru lists, that wasn't the point i was trying to make.
    I was trying to get the point across that they do use those lists, and not always with the best intent.

3. umug

umug Regular member

Thanks for the reply and link Daniel_G.

There was a lot of speculation on the reasoning behind Micro$oft's decisions to list Messenger Plus! as Spyware.

I leaned toward the most accepted theory that the optional 'sponsorship' that bundled with the installation of Messenger Plus! was being detected and flagged as Spyware in error, and Micro$oft being the arrogant pig headed company they are didn't have the guts to admit that they stuffed up.

Unfortunately we'll probably never really know 100% one way or another what really happens, but while cleaning out your MRU's may not achieve anything positive, it certainly won't do any harm :)

However discussions like these help to make users more aware of what is possible, so it is all good.

[​IMG]

4. Daniel_G

Daniel_G Guest

Hey, asking for evidence is what everyone [bold]should[/bold] do when it comes to subjects like these, there are way too many bs rumours circulating that are based purely on speculation.