Microsoft is killing the classic Windows WordPad app after almost 3 decades

Discussion in 'Windows - Software discussion' started by ddp, Sep 3, 2023.

1. ddp

ddp Moderator Staff Member

2. Sophocles

Sophocles Senior member

3. ps355528

ps355528 Active member

WordPad.. one of the few decent things they made.. along with Digital Image Suite (why do so few people know about that most excellent image editor? It was my goto in pirate days for just adding a serial to a disk cover or whatever.) and the long gone MS Publisher.. IMHO the absolute best and most intuitive wisiwyg desktop publishing proggy there has ever been.. If you have ever tried to run Quark Express or Scribus on linux you will know exactly what I mean :eek:

Some of their FOSS stuff isn't bad but you have to have an actual need..

In the long view it's probably better to ditch them now and go with something linux. Pretty much any game I feel like playing will run just fine with Proton and Proton-tricks on most of my linux systems. (GTFO Steam.. I'm using the github upstream version)

The strangest experience recently was with a neighbours printer which refused to have anything to do with his Win10 crap box of nightmares (why does literally NOTHING work without demanding passwords and "authentication" and "subscribe now" BS???) and "Get your windows for nothing and your spyware for free"..
    Epson thing.. all drivers installed.. wouldn't scan or print.
    To all those people who say "linux doesn't work with anything".. well.. My Manjaro laptop just connected to it with wifi.. and both scanned and printed.. and I have zero idea how it did that. All I did was go to the repos and install the "universal" epson driver.. and I was still connected to the internet while it was doing it's stuff.. Must be a decent laptop I guess.