1. This site uses cookies. By continuing to use this site, you are agreeing to our use of cookies. Learn More.

Microsoft refuses to answer questions about forced Windows 10 downloads

Discussion in 'Windows 10 forum' started by ireland, Sep 17, 2015.

1. ireland

ireland Active member

Microsoft refuses to answer questions about forced Windows 10 downloads

Just last week Microsoft managed to piss off a lot of people by secretly downloading the Windows 10 installation files to their computers without permission. The comments from BetaNews readers were plentiful, but divided. Some didn't see the problem, while others thought it to be invasive and presumptive.

But there was one question that popped up again and again -- just what the hell was Microsoft thinking? I decided to try to find out but found that the company was somewhat cagey with what it wanted to say on the matter. This is not on. People are more than a little annoyed, and they are demanding answers. They deserve them.

As we know from the original story, Microsoft had already been approached by The Inquirer and issued a statement that said: "For individuals who have chosen to receive automatic updates through Windows Update, we help upgradable devices get ready for Windows 10 by downloading the files they’ll need if they decide to upgrade. When the upgrade is ready, the customer will be prompted to install Windows 10 on the device."

This is very matter-of-fact and soulless. It also fails to take into consideration the idea that a lot of people might have no interest in upgrading to Windows 10, now or at any point in the future. Why would they want to download the installation files 'just in case'? There are plenty of households and workplaces with many computers -- if they all download Windows 10's installation files without permission that's a lot of bandwidth, and not everyone is lucky enough to enjoy unlimited bandwidth.

I, for instance, live in a remote place. If I want a decent internet connection, I have to pay for satellite. This is not only not cheap -- certainly nowhere near as cheap as traditional broadband -- but it also has download limits. I could pay for an unlimited connection, but it's prohibitively expensive. I have to be careful how I use the internet and do what I can to stick within my allowance. I don’t appreciate anything that secretly uses my connection, and I know that I'm not alone.

I got in touch with Microsoft to find out what on earth prompted the company to push Windows 10 at customers so aggressively. I was told that someone would get back to me, but by the next day there was no response -- so I chased it up again. Again I was told that it was being looked into.

All went silent.

READ MORE HERE

http://betanews.com/2015/09/16/microsoft-refuses-to-answer-questions-about-forced-windows-10-downloads/?utm_source=feedburner&utm_medium=feed&utm_campaign=Feed+-+bn+-+Betanews+Full+Content+Feed+-+BN

Attached Files:

2. ireland

ireland Active member

SOME QUOTE'S FROM THAT WEB SITE ABOVE

fredreed6 hours ago

This is why Microsoft is a terrible company and windows will ultimately fail because this company doesn't care about the consumers or businesses at all. They only care about making profits off of us. They don't care about doing the right thing or fixing these issues. Microsoft is a big sham of a company they put out another operating system and they want us to use as our everyday OS but yet they can't do anything about any of these problems. This is one big failure of a company. You will start to see more consumers drop windows 10 and switch to linux because of the lack of support that microsoft continues to give the consumers.

bugballou14 hours ago

"Just last week Microsoft managed to piss off a lot of people by secretly downloading the Windows 10 installation files to their computers without permission." I believe the correct terminology should be "piss on" not "piss off" All kidding aside, I have turned off automatic updates on our PC's and check to make sure that the sinister six are not included in any future updates by hiding them or their precursors.. Also a bit of work getting rid of GWX on friends PC's as not all computers being pushed to upgrade are capable of running Windows X in a reasonable manner. Desperate or not that is the way these actions are perceived. I thought I might upgrade early next year on a few machines but have reservations about that now. There is no free lunch, unless you pirated your previous version of Windows, so quit saying it is free, it isn't. You also only have a license to use the OS, it is still the property of Microsoft.

banzaigtv18 hours ago

At least I was smart enough to figure out how to impose a block on the automatic Windows 10 download on devices I do not intend to upgrade. By uninstalling the KB3035583 update and hiding the update, I was able to prevent the Windows 10 upgrade files from downloading. I have only one PC running Windows 10 and the other ones, including a Windows 7 PC, do not need to be upgraded. I will be watching to make sure Microsoft does not release an update that replaces KB3035583. If so, then I will crack down on it and promptly remove it as well.

TheVoiceOfReason19 hours ago

I don't doubt this is an issue for a particular grouping of people out there: those with metered and limited connections. And yeah, those people have a legitimate right to get upset.

Everyone else though... eh, it kind of just seems like you're beating a dead horse over this. Yeah, Microsoft is pushing out the binaries for Windows 10 if you have Automatic Updates on. Yeah, it's kind of sneaky. Yeah, you might be out about 6GB hard drive space... But putting aside all of that, in the grand scheme of things this is not a big deal. Like, at all.

In another couple months, no one is even going to remember this was a thing. Some people will be able to recall that time Microsoft pushed Windows 10 onto people's machines without asking, and that it was kind of sneaky, but we will have something else more important to put our attention towards. (Hopefully.)

Maybe Microsoft stopped answering your questions because they had nothing more to say about it. Maybe they felt they said all they needed to say about it. If you don't want the binaries on your computer, delete them. There are workarounds to prevent it from coming back.

If you don't like what they're doing, use Linux. Or Mac. Those are both completely valid alternatives to what is going on here.

It's just really not a big deal for the majority of Windows customers out there. It's really, really not.

3. tuannb030

tuannb030 Newbie

His previous win 10 and then it just set lum luxuriant error against it à microsoft hii not know many errors not corrected