1. This site uses cookies. By continuing to use this site, you are agreeing to our use of cookies. Learn More.

microsoft update help!!

Discussion in 'Windows - Software discussion' started by touran22, Jan 14, 2006.

1. touran22

touran22 Regular member

if i do a microsoft update and do custom and then install the software updates and hardware updates, would this ruin my computer in any way becuase last time there was an update form my sound card and when i done it i couldn't play any songs or hear or play any thing on my speakers. was i doing something rong??? plz help me

2. rav009

rav009 Active member

i think youll be fine doing a windows update....

dont worry it should be safe..about 99.99991% safe id say.

3. asbwa3

asbwa3 Member

yes i have had problems with updates too you can always do a system restore or reformat if you make a mistake or ghost your harddrive and not do it. But if your gonna use windows update id only update stuff you use if you dont need it at the time being dont update it thats my thought

4. ddp

ddp Moderator Staff Member

for drivers, get the updates from the chipset manufacturers.

5. touran22

touran22 Regular member

how do i find the chipset manafacturar? ive got driver genius proffesional and when i do autamatic search fot updates it finds ATI and some other one. shal i just clik update on it?

6. ddp

ddp Moderator Staff Member

chipset for motherboards made by intel, sis or via. videocards chipsets made by ati, nvidia & sis

7. DVDBURNUP

DVDBURNUP Guest

I would highlt recommend NOT to try and pick and choose what updates to install or not to install. Where I work after we are done working on a customers PC we run the updates for whatever OS. We have been doing it for XP since xp came out in 2001. The only crash and burns so far are the PC's that customers run because they think it will cure there PC because the pc is running slow, due to viruses or spyware. So do you think your pc is / was infected ?

8. touran22

touran22 Regular member

no im sure my comp is and wasnt infected. so should i just do an update for my hardware on windows update?

9. ScubaBud

ScubaBud Regular member

I run updates on all my PC's through windows and the only problem I had was an incomplete install of Microsoft NET Framework and kept coming up to update it. It finally rectified itself after a newer update came out.

Drivers are another issue and I [bold]CAREFULLY[/bold] choose those on an individual basis before running them.

Last edited: Jan 21, 2006
  10. touran22

touran22 Regular member

so i have an update for the net frame work, smart card provider pacage, windows media connect

on my hardware theres; sound c media ac97 audio device, phillips moniter, Ralink wireless lan card. realtec semiconducter.

are they all safe to update?

11. DVDBURNUP

DVDBURNUP Guest

Windows update is basically for "holes" in the OS, where an exploit can be run that can compramise the security of windows. Also generally improvements in code. I think that the only time they ( microsoft) feature a driver is when the current driver will not work with the upcoming MS updates. For driver updates you want to go to web site of the manufacturer of your PC, such as Dell, HP....etc . You want to find the support tab. If you have a home brew pc, open the case and look for a model number on the mainboard. If you have PCI , AGP , Vid Express cards, each one you will have to go to the manufacturers web site for drivers. For some mainboards before you do anything else, it is a good idea to install the mainboard chip set drivers..( THIS USUALLY ONLY NEEDS TO BE DONE WHEN NEW INSTALL) such as Intel mainboards. Then any other onboard drivers, followed by the cards in the slots.

12. ScubaBud

ScubaBud Regular member

touran22

I believe that what you show should be OK. Just do a "restore point" before you begin the update to be sure.

13. Auslander

Auslander Senior member

i always do the security updates and updates for Windows programs, such as WMP, but as for drivers, i live by a simple rule: if it ain't broke, don't fix it.