1. This site uses cookies. By continuing to use this site, you are agreeing to our use of cookies. Learn More.

MICROSOFT WORD 2003

Discussion in 'Windows - Software discussion' started by cheeher, May 6, 2006.

1. cheeher

cheeher Regular member

i don't know what happen to my microsoft word 2003. after saving a file, i can't open it. if i try to open it they will ask,"the file '_________' is not availble." Then after i close the the program, something will pop out saying that the file "Normal" is already exists. do you want to replace the existing file? i can either say yes, no, or cancel. after pressing either one another thing will pop out saying that changes have been made that affect the global template, "Normal." do you want to save those changes? this also give the three choices yes, no, or cancel. i tried to reinstalling but it doesn't work. i deleted the program "MICROSOFT OFFICE" then reinstall also but it doesn't work. [bold]PLEASE HELP ME.[/bold]

2. dejahboi

dejahboi Regular member

so are you just trying to open the file??? well, hmm, try searching in microsoft word 2003 temp folder an you might find it there, OR search it under "search", when you click the start button, well, im not sure if that answered your question, either your askin us if you save a file, can you open it from a saved location?? is that question? but yeah, let us know hows things going with your issues

3. cheeher

cheeher Regular member

what i mean is that i saved a file in my folder. when i tried to open the file from my folder, it won't work. they kept on saying the same thing. if you know anything else please tell me. thanks

4. DMW

DMW Regular member

If it's the template its editing try this.
    Search for the file normal.dot and when you find it, right click it and rename it to normal.dot.bak or something similair.

Than try opening Word again. The reason I say rename it isI don't know if word 2003 will recreate it for you.
    I had the same problem with OfficeXp a few years back and deleting it sorted it out.

Hope it helps.

5. orb.fl

orb.fl Guest

If you reinstalled Office and still have the same problem, something might be changing the Normal.dot master template. Virus writers used to create macros that changed the Normal.dot. I would do a virus scan.

Or you could try to rename Normal.dot to Normal.OLD and windows will create a new one.

6. cheeher

cheeher Regular member

thanks for the tip. if y'all told me that earlier i wouldn't rebooted my computer. but i don't blame y'all. now i have a new problem. evertime i open microsoft word, a mini window will pop out saying.[bold]"Microsoft Office Word has not been installed for the current user. Please run setup to install the application."[/bold] i have reinstall Microsoft Office Professional 2003 three times yesterday. it'll always say the same thing. please help me and try to be faster. i'll come check again around 10:00. hurry...

7. dejahboi

dejahboi Regular member

are you administrator?

8. cheeher

cheeher Regular member

so still no answer huh? that's okay. i'll come back later.

9. DMW

DMW Regular member

Still no help?
    I'm sure he was asking for a reason, maybe to get more info to help you out :-/

10. cheeher

cheeher Regular member

sorry. anyway, focus on my first reply. i reinstall my computer and now it work. but it kept on saying about the normal again. i try to rename it but it doesn't work. i don't know why. i'm not playing around, okay? just making sure.

11. dejahboi

dejahboi Regular member

is it a legit copy of microsoft word?

12. cheeher

cheeher Regular member

13. dejahboi

dejahboi Regular member

how bout your OS? is it a legal copy?

14. cheeher

cheeher Regular member

yes. i'm using the real MICROSOFT OFFICE PROFESSIONAL 2003 version.

15. dejahboi

dejahboi Regular member

no your operating system (O.S.)???

16. cheeher

cheeher Regular member

okay. i'm not really a computer person. what is an OS(operating system). can we please stick to the subject on how to get rid of the "NORMAL" template.

17. dejahboi

dejahboi Regular member

well basically, an operating system is your computers software it must run on to operate....such as windows XP, ME, 2000, 98, NT...and all the good stuff, nos im asking your if your computer is running a genuine operating system, because it seems to me during the installation of your windows i think it had some errors while installation, such as a missing file, but other than that, have you tried technical support for your application, and is there a way where you can locate where this normal file is??

18. lucillea

lucillea Guest

I have an exact incident as cheeher. I installed Microsoft Office XP Small Business Edition in c:\program files\MicrosoftOfficeXP\

Now, my Microsoft Word XP works fine, I get no "normal.dot" message and can open files.

I still have Office 2003 in the computer but I don't use its Word.

19. cheeher

cheeher Regular member

yes. i found where the normal file is. it has been hidden, but i found it anyway. if i try to delete it, it'll disappear. but when i open word, the program will automatically make a new normal. the normal is a template file.

20. orb.fl

orb.fl Guest