1. This site uses cookies. By continuing to use this site, you are agreeing to our use of cookies. Learn More.

mini DV to DVD

Discussion in 'Digital camcorders' started by demidio, Apr 9, 2005.

1. demidio

demidio Member

I´m using Ulead VideoStudio 7 and Studio Version 8 to transfer my miniDVs to DVDs using a firewire cable. I´ve made all the process (capturing in DV format) and in the end those programs create a DVD image that you can play as if it was a real DVD.

I played the DVD image with Intervideo DVD in the PC and the result was terrible. So as I´ve already noticed that some DVDs have a different quality in the PC from when you play them direct on the TV, I decided to play it direct on TV. So I plugged the PC in the TV. The result was better than in the PC screen, but it´s far inferior from the MiniDV quality. Why is this happening? I thought that the DVD quality should be near the mini DV quality.

Any help or tip will be welcomed.

Thanks

PS: I´m using a Sony Pentium 4 2.8Ghz with 512Mb RAM, and the firewire port is build in. The video adapter is a Radeon IGP 345M with 128Mb.

Last edited: Apr 9, 2005
  2. TPFKAS

TPFKAS Regular member

There are a couple of things that can cause this:
    1. Your encoding settings. You may have set a too low bitrate. You can check this how much MB the video takes. For very good quality 60 minutes of video should not take more than 4.7GB.
    2. Your video card is not fast enough to send out good quality to your TV.
    3. Your using a type of image (dunno what you do) that it takes too much power of your machine that it can keep up.

If your encoding settings are OK, it is better to burn a DVD an play that on your DVD player.(Buy a RW for testing purposes, you can re-use it over and over again).

http://www.digitalvideoclub.com

3. demidio

demidio Member

Thanks for your help.

You were right, I was not creating the image at the highest DVD resolution. Now that I change it, the DVD image quality is near the DV quality, but is not the same. The DVD image is less sharp and it is a little slower than the mini DV image. Is it correct? If it is, I can´t erase my mini DVs.

4. TPFKAS

TPFKAS Regular member

The quality of th DVD is in fact lower than your original because it is more compressed. However, with a real good encoder and good settings you should not see much of a difference. Don't kow what how much you can tweak the settings in the encoder in Studio, but many others like TMPGEnc or the MainConcpet encoders have a lot of settings that you can change to get gest results.
    I don't understand what you mean with slower...
    And yes, you are right. Don't erase your tape. Keep them as an original and store them on a dry and dust free environment.