1. This site uses cookies. By continuing to use this site, you are agreeing to our use of cookies. Learn More.

Mini-dvd vs full size dvds

Discussion in 'Nintendo Gamecube - General discussion' started by Ayle, Oct 10, 2008.

1. Ayle

Ayle Member

Hi, beside the fact that regular dvd's are cheaper, would using regular dvd-s instead of the mini dvd-s reduce the DRE?

2. nickberry

nickberry Regular member

doubt it - after all the data would be written in the same place, at the same density, you would just be left with a whole bunch of wasted dvd around the outside of the disc...

3. Ayle

Ayle Member

What's the point of using full size dvd's then???

4. nickberry

nickberry Regular member

to reduce DRE you want the best quality discs you can buy, and that probly means mini dvds are not a option...

5. frankcast

frankcast Guest

From what I understand Ritek 04s come in full size and mini, so I don't think they're any different in quality (as ive used RiTeks for all my backups (35) and they've worked flawlessly... well all but PSO but that's a different story). I've also heard that using fullsize DVD-Rs puts premature wear on your DVD drive as that drive wasn't designed for the added weight/centrifugal force of a full sized dvd. I'm pretty sure it's BS but just food for thought.

6. Ayle

Ayle Member

I don't know what to think because I haven't tweaked my pot yet but most of my games burned on regular memorex mini dvd-r I got from radioshack work flawlessly as long as the disk is pristine, I get DRE if there is a speck of dust or even fingerprints on them.... I have burned 15 games and only zelda and mario kart gave me DRE... Zelda works perfectly since I reburnt it, but Mario KArt crashes every time I select the flower cup...

7. Vorde

Vorde Member

Hello,
    Well I'm just repaired a GCN that was in my basement for 2 years, and I'm thinking of modding it. The problem right now is getting mini-dvd's where I live since only two places carry them, and they're incredibly expensive. However, there's a store that sells RiData DVD-R's for only $0.35 a piece (which is extremely cheap), and I'm just thinking if getting the new case is worth it, because it makes sense that full dvd's would either:
    A)Slow down read speed because of the extra weight, plus the drive in the gamecube is extremely fast, so are loading times any longer?
    B)Wear out the motor in the drive so that it won't work in a few years, because I'd like to keep my GCN working for as long as possible with the ability to play burned games.

The last thing I'll say is that my DVD-Burner will only burn as slow as 2.4x, but nothing lower. Is it possible to force it lower, or is this a safe speed to burn at for GCN games?
    Thanx for all who answer :)