1. This site uses cookies. By continuing to use this site, you are agreeing to our use of cookies. Learn More.

MiniDV to DVD

Discussion in 'DVDR' started by Drizzit, Nov 18, 2003.

1. Drizzit

Drizzit Guest

Sorry if i posted this in the wrong place!!

My question is, what tools do i need to capture and convert MiniDV into DVD format for burning!

By tools im mean!
    Do i need a captuer card or just a program that will work in conjunction with firewire or VIVO?
    What software will convert MiniDV into DVD or even .avi format? If I can get into avi Ii most likly have the tools needed for converting, but this is my first time working with MiniDV so any sugestions would be helpful!

Thanks,
    Drizzit

2. yuedana

yuedana Regular member

you need a video editing/authoring program. With minidv, your camcorder should have a ieee 1394 (firewire) port to stream the video into your computer (which needs ieee 1394 also). From there you can use a number of programs like ulead, videowave, studio8, etc.

You do not need a video capture card (unless you consider a ieee 1394 card a video capture card)

The downloaded video will be avi. The software will convert it to a number of different formats.

3. Drizzit

Drizzit Guest

Sweet!!

Thanks Again,
    Drizzit

4. baabaa

baabaa Active member

You can buy capture card kits which include a capture card and firewire and software etc....

However (personally) I have found these to be cumbersome and a little overpriced....

I just purchased a firewire card and cable, and Pinnacle studio version 8.8 and Adobe Premier Pro 7....
    Pinnacle 8 is a great proggy to learn on as everything is laid nicely and all you do is drag and drop......

BTW a large HD is recommended, if you capture to avi at max resolution (720x576), then 1Gb equates to approx 5 mins of video.....