1. This site uses cookies. By continuing to use this site, you are agreeing to our use of cookies. Learn More.

miniDV to harddisk using Windows Movie Maker

Discussion in 'Digital camcorders' started by dbarre14, Aug 4, 2007.

1. dbarre14

dbarre14 Member

Having difficulty getting entire tape to disk. I select AVC compliant device/Best Quality.. playback/Capture entire tape../
    This starts to capture tape every third or fourth try[??]. When it does start it usually captures less than 10 seconds before stopping.However on 6 attempts it has done more [2.40 mins, 4.50, 6.25, 12.03, 12.34, and 19.19 mins.] all with good quality video and audio. I am capturing via a pci firewire card; I am wondering why once it starts to record it doesn't go on to complete the tape? Reading your forums I think perhaps it may be that my computer isn't powerful enough. I have a AMD Sempron 2800+, 2GB memory, and in excess of 50Gb space on the hard drive.
    I have also tried Roxio Easy Media Creator 8 but with no better results. Any help and/or advice would be much appreciated.

2. PFloyd

PFloyd Regular member

Get Windv and use that one. It is free and I have never had any problems or anyone else having problems. WMM is too buggy!

3. dbarre14

dbarre14 Member

Thanks for suggestion to use WinDV. It was easy, but only after I bought a new firewire card. It appears the old one had an intermittent fault which caused Movie Maker to drop out randomly at the end of a clip - I was never going to get through 50+ clips to the end!
    PS: I've also transferred using MS movie maker.
    dbarre14