1. This site uses cookies. By continuing to use this site, you are agreeing to our use of cookies. Learn More.

MiniDV To PC via USB

Discussion in 'Digital camcorders' started by fuksony, Jan 1, 2005.

1. fuksony

fuksony Member

Hello
    i bought the DCR-HC14E and i feel really really stupid as i bought it to make movies so i can then edit them on my PC.

THE THING IS I CANT ***** GET THE MINIDV ON MY PC!!!!!!!!!!
    I tryed Windows movie maker but i cant find where is the button to capture

PLEASE PLEASE
    I NEED HELPPPP

2. rockdawg

rockdawg Regular member

I'm have version 2.0 of Windows Movie Maker and it's the first option when you first run the program. Did Sony's software not come with your camera? If so, use it. However, as I said, the first option is "Capture from Video Device". It's blatantly obvious. Maybe the software dosn't look the same in other countries.

3. fuksony

fuksony Member

Dude
    thanks for your time but...

1-The software is a piece of shit
    2-The quality on WMM sucks ass
    3-Is there any other programme?

LOL

thanks bro

Alex

4. rockdawg

rockdawg Regular member

Both the sony software and windows movie maker are crap or just WMM?

It really depends on the format you save your movies too. Some formats are definitely not as good as others. I also have a Sony MiniDV and I've used several software apps including the software that came with the Sony and Windows Movie Maker (WMM). If I recall, USB streaming did not work well with WMM (audio/video time relay was off sync). It worked fine with Sony's Software.

You can switch to firewire. Also, the next time you save your video, from USB or firewire, save it as DV/AVI format in WMM. Of course, you better have some hard drive space. I might take up to 7-10GB for a single 60min MiniDV tape. But the resolution is VERY good in my opinion. You also better have a fairly good PC. Because this is gonna take a loooooong time.

Recommendations on other software....
    "free" software: go to this site and check this out. It has gotten good reviews from users.
    http://www.download.com/VirtualDub/3000-2194_4-10249735.html?tag=lst-3-2

These are generally good retail versions: Ulead Video Studio 8 and Pinnacle Studio 9 - both are very good.

Good luck.

5. fuksony

fuksony Member

Lol
    thank you very much

[bold]BUT[/bold]

Anyway, the f**king sony techicians are really bad, they dont answer.

Moreover, the goddamn software that comes with the camera cant record videos on the HD lol, only to a disc...it is such a piece of sh*t.

Thank god the camera image quality and pixels owns bigtime, otherwise i would feel really motherf***ing stupid to have bought that camera.

My next Camera will definetly not be a Sony

By the way
    the softwares u said are to f***ing complicated by the way, does anyone knows where to find easy softwares, that can do much, like WMM which, would own a55 if it made good quality.

Thanks a lot
    i owe you one

ps: Goddamn sony techicians

Last edited: Jan 2, 2005
  6. fuksony

fuksony Member

by the way, which is THA best software for THA best Quality?

7. rockdawg

rockdawg Regular member

What is the name of the Sony Software you rec'd with your camcorder? I rec'd ImageMixer by Pixela with my camcorder. I didn't find it complicated at all. It was pretty much just plug in your camcorder and press a button to start automatically copying your MiniDV tape.

So you can only record directly to a CD/DVD from your camcorder but NOT to your hard drive? Hmmm...did you mess with any of the settings or change something in the software, because the default should be to record directly to your hard drive.

8. rockdawg

rockdawg Regular member

Last edited: Jan 2, 2005
  9. kevling51

kevling51 Member

ewww...editing movies on pc with wmm is kind of like a way to crash your cpu every 10 min. i suggest a high end pc with firewire and adobe premiere or go all out and get a mac with final cut...or imovie

10. rockdawg

rockdawg Regular member

Never happened to me. Also, I don't have the kind of money to be purchasing Adobe Premiere or another PC. My computer works fine. So I have to use what's available. WMM works just fine for simply taking the video off your camcorder. So does ImageMixer by Pixela which came with my Sony. If you like Premiere, have a good reason for using it and can afford it, good for you. I don't have a good reason to use it and I sure as hell can't justify the cost for what I do.

11. kevling51

kevling51 Member

dude i was just giving a suggestion...you could prolly get a copy of pinnacles studio dv which is an all encompassing program for dv users. and it's not that expensive either. mainly for home movie makers and also students such as i, who need to edit very quickly. in the mean time, have fun with wmm . . . its not that bad...just limited.

12. tb7025

tb7025 Member

I have a Sony PC-350 and capture video using firewire and Windows Movie Maker 2.0 I then use sonic DVD to copy my completed project to DVD. I must say that I am extremely impressed with the quality and easiness of both programs.

13. ray123

ray123 Guest

Yeah, I want to find the most painless and stress-free software for transfering miniDV to DV/AVI so that I can then author with some other software.

I have tried the provided Canon VideoPresenter 2, Ulead MovieFactory 2SE and Ulead VideoStudio 7SE to transfer the raw digital data from the videocamera. All of them suffer from dropped frames. My laptop is Pentium 4, 3GHz, 60Gig HD with about 20G free and 512 RAM. Whether I transfer to my HD or a portable 80G HD via firewire I still get dropped frames. I tried the Adobe Premier Pro try-out (170megs of download) but it wouldn't recognise my camera. I rang the support help line and was told that Adobe doesn't "certify" my camera. Told me to transfer the miniDV to DV/AVI onto my HD using another program and then use the Pro to author the movie. Is that right that Adobe's product doesn't allow me to connect directly to my digital camera (MV700i?

Don't get me wrong, the ulead products are fine the the capture/transfer process is frustrating.

Any comments please before I waste anymore of my time.

Thanks