1. This site uses cookies. By continuing to use this site, you are agreeing to our use of cookies. Learn More.

Minor improvements

Discussion in 'Forum announcements' started by dRD, Aug 24, 2006.

1. dRD

dRD I hate titles Staff Member

As our part of the "Tell us how our site should improve -- win $2,000!" campaign (in case you haven't read about it, go to this address: http://www.afterdawn.com/general/innovate.cfm), we've launched number of minor improvements to our site that hopefully make using the site more pleasant experience:

-"quick jump" links next to threads in forum rooms. For the threads with more than one page, the forum room view will now show quick links to access the latest page in that thread. So, you don't have to go to the first (=oldest) page of that thread anymore, but can jump directly to read the latest posts in that thread.

-the same "quick jump" logic is now applied also to "List threads I've subscribed to" and "List of forum thread that I've participated" lists under "My account"

-default forum search is now replaced with Google-powered search. Note that the old search is still available, there's a link to it in the search page.

-on our site's main page (at http://www.afterdawn.com/), in the "small orange box" that shows "Read your private messages", etc you'll see how many unread private messages you have (if any. obviously requires you to be logged in to our site)

This is just the tip of the iceberg. Even before launching the contest, we had 18 months' worth of stuff on our to-do list, so expect more new features and improvements also in the future.

And, remember, if you have an idea how our site should be improved, participate in our "innovation contest" -- http://www.afterdawn.com/general/innovate.cfm

Last edited: Aug 24, 2006
  2. bulfrog15

bulfrog15 Regular member

have the ability to have favorite forum in my account where one can do a quick jump to that forum and see what is new in that forum.

Last edited: Aug 28, 2006
  3. LOCOENG

LOCOENG Moderator Staff Member

Great improvements boss, keep up the good work and look forward to even more changes in the future.

4. borhan9

borhan9 Active member

Ya I like the changes. but im not sure about the new search engine with google.

Because what do u do when u want to do when u search for software?? or do u have to click on that tab and then search from that tab??

5. dRD

dRD I hate titles Staff Member

We'll add the possibility to use the old search as well (its done already with forums, on the forum search page there's a link to our own, internal forum search if you hate Google :). And I'd imagine a search by a software name would result that software's page on our site as the 1st result in most cases?

6. creaky

creaky Moderator Staff Member

the google search is an excellent addition (dRD slaps creaky probably!) and can still use the AD search too, this change is something i'll be using very heavily..cheers

7. borhan9

borhan9 Active member

Thanxs dRD for the clarifications. Ill give it a go :)

8. borhan9

borhan9 Active member

@dRD

I just have an improvement that could b made to the my.afterdawn reminder we get once a week, in the emails. We get in there the specific blog names that have new comment to it, can something like that be put in for the picture comments also. Instead of just sayin 6 pics have comments aand then we have to shuffle through the pics and find them.

Thanxs for your time.

9. mustNSmWO

mustNSmWO Member

yeah the google search is one of my favorites. ha. even though its soo simple. im lazy to type in www.google.com jk but its awsome!

10. krstofer

krstofer Member

I got an improvement you can do regarding the 3 minute rule for Noobs.

Instead of the message coming up after you spend time writing a reply then trying to post, why not bring the message up after the person clicks reply.

The way it works now kinda sux. Someone who is a noob that has good information and/or experience may not bother trying to repost after typing a whole reply.

Also, a minor change would be to at least say how much time is left before the user can post again instead of just a flat "3 minute" message.

Just my 2 cents.

11. Suba

Suba Regular member

May be I missed something, but how do you delete your post?

12. borhan9

borhan9 Active member

You can not delete your post. Only moderators can remove them completely. You can edit your post though and delete the text from it and thats how you can delete your post.

13. Suba

Suba Regular member

Thanks
    That's what I did, but it would not let me get out of edit window.

14. borhan9

borhan9 Active member

I figure u need to still have something typed in the text box. Like we do sometimes just type EDIT and leave it like that.

15. andersg

andersg Regular member

When is the contest over. It has been going for months now, hasn't it?

16. shark12er

shark12er Guest

Thanks for uploading this, it gave me something to read on my lunch break.
    -------------------------
    **link removed by creaky - NO free advertising..**

Last edited by a moderator: May 31, 2007
  17. shree13

shree13 Member

It might be a little stupid but does anyone know how to download songs,videos nad pictures in the PS3

18. creaky

creaky Moderator Staff Member

- completely the wrong thread for this; please start your own thread in the relevant forum..

19. borhan9

borhan9 Active member

I have a minor improvement that could help aD in the long run.

At aD we have had many times problems with post padding and double post whether or not its is blatint or accidental. We can fix that double posting by trying this.

I have seen on Youtube when you finish typing your comment and when you press post once the button greys out and then you just have to wait for it to do its thing and then it disapears. May aD can do this kinda thing and when it greys out and finishes posting then do what it normally does and takes us back to the thread with our post added.

Just an Idea. :)

20. andersg

andersg Regular member

Sound like a good thing to me.