1. This site uses cookies. By continuing to use this site, you are agreeing to our use of cookies. Learn More.

Missing Display Tabs

Discussion in 'Windows - Virus and spyware problems' started by rubixcube, Jun 25, 2007.

1. rubixcube

rubixcube Regular member

I recently had a spyware/virus problem that put some rather nasty bugs onto my PC. All my display tabs went missing, and a whole load of other stuff went bonkers. Anyway, I managed to fix it all, get my tabs back and remove the traces of the bad stuff I could find. Now my only problem is (it's a very minor one but for some reason it still worries me) that my windows xp themes don't display buttons correctly in (so far) display properties, and hardware wizard. What I mean is, the buttons are the old windows classic ones and not the new, curved, mouseover-orange highlighted buttons from xp. See LINK

Most of you probably ask why does it bother me, and I don't know. Lol. But I'd like it to be normal again. I forgot to mention that, during the fixing-of-virus process, I had to overwrite a file associated with the display properties called C:\windows\system32\comctl32.dll with a newer version tucked away in the windows folder somewhere. Any idea if that could be the cause of my small problem?

Thanks,
    Rubix

2. rubixcube

rubixcube Regular member

Sorry to waste space mods, but I fixed it already. Just in case anyone else has the same problem, they can read this thread. All I had to do was get a copy of WindowsShell.Manifest from another xp machine and add it to my Windows directory and restart. Fixed