1. This site uses cookies. By continuing to use this site, you are agreeing to our use of cookies. Learn More.

missing IP Address

Discussion in 'All other topics' started by raffs, Apr 22, 2005.

1. raffs

raffs Regular member

I have been trying to speed up downloads with bittorrent by opening ports 6881-6889 however when I type ipconfig /all at the command prompt to find my IP address the default gateway is blank. What do I do now?

2. nownthen

nownthen Regular member

And you can still connect to the internet. Interesting

Are you behind a firewall, router or a combination of both?

3. raffs

raffs Regular member

i am using win xp's firewall. I have no problems getting online and i can use bittorrent but i just cant seem to id my ip. I have tried google and different places and i get different answers. I guess i have a dynamic IP. If this is the case can I open the ports 6881-6889? And how do I find out my IP anyway?

4. Mr_Del

Mr_Del Regular member

Wich SP?

-Del

5. DMW

DMW Regular member

Hi,
    Wierd that you have no gateway but still have internet access, but hey, if it works.....

Using windows firewall for protection...
    open your network connections and right-click on your connection.
    Go to advanced and if the firewall is on click settigns at the bottom.

Click the add button
    Put bittorrent (or any name) for description
    Put your computer ip ion the next one
    for external port put 6881
    and same for internal
    leave dot in TCP
    repeat for 6882-6889 inclusive

It would be ideal to add a range, but I don't believe you can with MS firewall. Thats stands for SP1, not got SP2 installed, so can;t check.

Hope it helps.

Cheers

6. raffs

raffs Regular member

using sp1.
    And DMW - I would have carried out the port opening except for the fact that i cant get my IP to put in the ip section!!

7. DMW

DMW Regular member

8. raffs

raffs Regular member

Any time I try to find out my IP by clicking on sites or by requesting pasword details I get different IP details so far I have about 10 different address. Is there somthing I can type in that would automatically find a default IP?

9. nownthen

nownthen Regular member

I would contact my ISP and ask them about it.

10. Mr_Del

Mr_Del Regular member

Ok I am ready to take a stab at this.If this is the only computer in your home that uses the DSL and it is hooked up to the modem. I am assuming there are no routers. If this is the case then the IPCONFIG /ALL will not show a default gateway IP adress if you are not currently logged into the DSL service.

You mention you get different adresses all the time. Well that would sugest you are set up with Dynamic IP. This would mean that you would not have a default gateway to work with. You would need to look into something like DYNDNS. Don't know if that would realy help any for what you are tying to do.

DYNDNS will give you an internet adress That forwards to your curent Default gateway. An update program is used to refresh the DYNDNS server when you get a new IP adress. Like I said I do not think this will work for you. However you can use it for other things that require a static adress and you don't have one.

You best bet is to get a router. Turn off that crapy SP1 Firewall. It causes to many problems as it is. MS firewall in SP2 Had many of those problems fixed. Haveing a router will make your default gateway the router. Open your Bit Torrent ports in the router. Let the router wory about its default gateway. You dont need to know it.

I have static DSL and set all my stuff up in the router for the same thing as you. I know my IP but did not need it when setting things up. Just as an example.

11. raffs

raffs Regular member

Thanks MR_DEL I'll give that a go.