1. This site uses cookies. By continuing to use this site, you are agreeing to our use of cookies. Learn More.

mkv audio extraction

Discussion in 'DivX / XviD' started by cramberri, Nov 23, 2004.

1. cramberri

cramberri Member

hi there!

ive been searching these forums and gotten some hints, but i still cant figure this out!

ive used virtualdubmod tons of times to extract wav files of ogm files. however, when i do the same for mkv, i get an error saying that "no audio decompresser was found to decompress the source audio format"

so i looked around n found that mkvextractgui and mkvtoolnix, and i used the program to extract the audio, but it came out as small aac files? are they good quality?

i used dvdlab pro to take control of my streams and burn them, but dvdlab pro does not see the aac files! only ac3. but i cant find ANY converter to change aac to ANYTHING, so i can eventually get it 2 ac3!

am i missing something here? ive also read about using virtual dub 2 save as mp3 with the lame mp3 codec, but i tried that as well n i got the same error message...any help would be appreciated! thank you very much!

2. The_OGS

The_OGS Active member

MKV is 'Matroska' the extensible open standard Audio/Video container.
    Matroska is usually found as .mkv files (matroska video) and .mka files (matroska audio).
    I don't know a damn thing about it, but here is a link to some guides:
    http://www.matroska.org/technical/guides/index.html
    We NEED a Matroska expert! It could be you cramberri...
    Come back in a coupla days, and tell us all about it.
    Find the tools that will work with their files.
    It claims to be simply a container for standard file formats, like an AVI is, but none of my beloved tools will work with it...
    Here is another link:
    http://ld-anime.faireal.net/guide/mkv-eng
    Good luck,
    L8R

3. phlnax

phlnax Member

Hey! AAC files are the exact files that play the audio heard in whatever video you are watching, so they are as good of a quality as you normally hear.

Program that will convert .aac to some other format is a very simple one. Nero wave editor.(must be ver.2)

Now I know you have some doubts, but it can convert it into .AIF, .AIFF, .MP3, .WAV, .WAVE, .WMA, .VQF, and finally .MP4.

hope this helps you!!

Last edited: Dec 11, 2004
  4. shiroh

shiroh Guest

i use matroska all the time, but i'm no expert.
    you can find the developer at doom9 or corecodec or the official site.

dbpoweramp can decode aac too. you need to download the codec first
    if you're not using ffdshow, a directshow filter like coreaac is my first choice. can be found at corecodec.com