1. This site uses cookies. By continuing to use this site, you are agreeing to our use of cookies. Learn More.

.MKV - .AVI?

Discussion in 'HD DVD discussion' started by Mik3h, Dec 29, 2007.

1. Mik3h

Mik3h Regular member

You've probably had this question done loads of times, but I have a 10gb
    Transformers 1080p MKV and I need it converted to WMV HD or AVI, I'm not bothered as long as my Xbox 360 can play and it retains it's 1080p quality.

Thanks

2. Mik3h

Mik3h Regular member

*Nudgie*

Anyone?

3. geestar20

geestar20 Active member

Sorry -Mik3h- as im not fully experienced in conversions from .mkv to .avi but you can convert .mkv to dvd or dual layer with convertXtodvd. as far as the quality goes it still looks great...but of course depends on compression.

Sorry mam if I couldn't be anymore help

Edit* spelling

Last edited: Dec 30, 2007
  4. Mik3h

Mik3h Regular member

Hey geestar, thanks a lot for replying. How are you how have you been?

Yeah I'm not worried about file size it's just the quality really, before I start converting it though, are you sure it will still stay as high definition 1080p if I turn the compression to the lowest and quality to the best? Thanks a lot, I'd almost given up hope!

5. geestar20

geestar20 Active member

Im ok...thats the best I can say about my self, lol

this is probably th best I can do for you as far as .mkv to .wmv

http://forum.doom9.org/showthread.php?p=1003477

As far as the quality, when you convert its good but remember you are converting to dvd format and dvd players are standard and not high def.

from what I understand from other members, you can connect a external hdd and watch it that way.

I would ask around the 360 forums about that though.

Again, sorry as my knowledge is little about this.

6. Mac_Cool

Mac_Cool Member

GOTSent was recommend to me, it's fast but the one time I tried it kept getting an error on the end of the file. If you get it to work let me know.

http://www.videohelp.com/tools/GOTSent

Last edited: Dec 30, 2007
  7. gamename

gamename Regular member

i have alot of friends that play them from there pc using a good graphics card to connect to the tv.

8. Mac_Cool

Mac_Cool Member

What does that have anything to do with this thread?

9. gamename

gamename Regular member

@ mac, i was trying to offer a cheap alternative for mik. theres no way to do what hes asking. no matter what kind of software he uses, without spending alot of money for hardware and media.the file is 10gb and Dl dvd doesnt have that much room. so no matter what software he uses it will lose quality. ive been trying this since june 07, and used dozens of different software with DL media and none of them look as good as when playing the original file from pc.

10. Mac_Cool

Mac_Cool Member

Much better said this time then. I have both capabilities, to stream through the 360 and from my PC's graphic card and the 360 is so much easier and better quality it's worth the effort to convert if conversion is possible which you say it isn't. Admittedly I haven't had any luck so far converting mkv to a different container.

11. misfit410

misfit410 Member

There most definately is a way but it takes about 3-4 hours to do.
    Just be sure to have MKV codecs on your computer and load the file into Windows Movie maker, and Publish it as a HD-WMV, will play on the 360 at 1080P

12. PAUL7331

PAUL7331 Member

Will this play on the PS3 too this way?

13. misfit410

misfit410 Member

To my knowledge the PS3 does not play WMV, they are pretty much stuck to MPEG1-4 I believe.

They say MP4 but that is always so vague, it really could mean anything, or just as simple as Divx/Xvid.

14. gamename

gamename Regular member

@ misfit, is this availiable on xp or just vista? i am currently running windows xp pro sp2, and moviemaker 2.1.4026.0 . can i do it? i searched everywhere for HD-WMV and couldnt find anything in moviemaker.

15. Mik3h

Mik3h Regular member

Hey guys, I just started to obtain HD-WMVs as they play fine when I stream them from my PC. I didn't know about exporting them from WMP as HD-WMV otherwise I wouldnt have deleted the 10gb 1080p transformers MKV and re-downloaded an 8gb 720p transformers HD-WMV, lol.

16. misfit410

misfit410 Member

Had to do some research, and HD Video is indeed unique to Vista Home Premium and Ultimate versions of Windows Movie Maker. I just had thought it came with the update.

17. gamename

gamename Regular member

well i think that sucks. i tried vista earlier this year and there were a few of my favorite progs. that wouldnt run on it. so i went back to xp. ive heard pennacle and adobe have out software that will do it on xp, but there very expensive. im sure someone will come out with a cheap or free alternative sooner or later (hopefully sooner). thanks for the info. i have a few friends that r running vista, ill get them to try it out and tell me how it goes.

18. cyprusrom

cyprusrom Active member

I don't know how much quality will retain, but you could give it a try(is free). It supports MKV input, and has options for high bitrate conversion.

http://www.erightsoft.com/SUPER.html

19. Mac_Cool

Mac_Cool Member

I got GOTsent to process a file without error messages but the resulting file won't play on anything. Apparently others have used the program successfully but there is no English support so I'm giving up on it for now.

I have used Super on other file types with success but so far I have not been successful on MKVs, it can take a bit of finagling the settings for Super to work well. Super re-encodes and takes a long time.

I tried Ripbot which works perfectly however it re-encodes the video and audio for a net loss on both. A 42MB MKV resulted in a 9MB MP4 with default ps3/360 profile. The MP4 looked very good so this might be acceptable for some people.

Last edited: Jan 4, 2008
  20. Mik3h

Mik3h Regular member

I just gave up and decided only to get HD-WMVs only and not MKVs. Saves a lot of hassle.