1. This site uses cookies. By continuing to use this site, you are agreeing to our use of cookies. Learn More.

Mkv Chapter playback issue.

Discussion in 'Video playback problems' started by jerinian, Apr 19, 2012.

1. jerinian

jerinian Member

Hi Guys! Good day! This is my first post, i wanted to thank u for accepting my registration.
    One of my hobbies is encoding, and remuxing videos that my BDplayer can read, i use Mmg, MeGUI, Mp4muxer and Handbrake to do the job. I've done this for a year now and i have come across problems that i haven't able resolve, for example: i demuxed an mkv with h264 video and remuxed it again to add chapters, now i played it with my standalone bdplayer, it plays smoothly, till i press the next button when the problem occur: it doesn't go the next chapter, it repeat itself on the beginning of the current chapter rather than go next, example: i'm on chapter 2, i press next, chapter goes to the beginning of the chapter 2 not chapter 3. I know i'm not the only one having this kind of problem, the only thing i did to get around this is to fast forward the video then press next to get to the next chapter. Is there a way fix this chapter problem and what's it called?
    Thank you for reading and understanding, i'm looking forward to your replies ;)

Last edited: Apr 20, 2012
  2. Ripper

Ripper Active member

Does this playback issue occur when you play the file on your PC, for example, using VLC?

When you added the chapters to the mkv, did you set both chapter start and end points for the individual chapters? AFAIK, you need to set end points properly too.

Also, did you remux the mkv with a fixed or variable framerate?

I'm shooting in the dark a bit here but hopefully my reply will be of some use to you.

3. jerinian

jerinian Member

Yes thank you for replying :)
    Chapters i've created begins with 00:00:00.000 and ends what time the credits starts ie: 00:24:00.000
    I've re-encoded/remux movies with framerate 23-29 fps, but i'm not really sure about variable bitrate? Does this effect the bdplayer to seek through chapters?
    And btw, i have no playback issues when playing it on VLC, only in bdplayer.

Last edited: May 15, 2012
  4. Ripper

Ripper Active member

I'm not sure, I read something about framerate affecting fast-forward and rewind within chapters so thought it could be linked.

Presumably this only happens with some of your mkvs, not all of them? How many chapters do the mkvs that cause problems have?

(FYI, my knowledge of mkv is very limited, I'm just trying to help out and potentially point you in the right direction)

5. jerinian

jerinian Member

Yes this might help, not all my mkvs behave like that, some of it play smoothly in my bdplayer, and some have this chapter problem.
    But i don't remember setting the handbrake to variable framerate i leave the video as it is.
    I'm going to investigate now hehe the difference with between those with and without problem.

6. Ripper

Ripper Active member

I read that anything over 63 chapters causes chapters in mkv to break completely, but I'm not sure whether that is limited to certain scenarios or just for playback in general. It might be worth checking how many chapters your troublesome mkvs have, in light of this.

Sorry I can't provide you with a proper solution though!

7. jerinian

jerinian Member

Most of the chapters i create are 30 below. i haven't had the time to check every movie, but when i do i will let you know :)
    Thanks for the replies cheers! :D

Last edited: May 16, 2012