1. This site uses cookies. By continuing to use this site, you are agreeing to our use of cookies. Learn More.

MKV file to DVD

Discussion in 'Video - Software discussion' started by 0MAR, Sep 3, 2004.

1. 0MAR

0MAR Regular member

Can any 1 help me i downloaded a mkv file movie and i wan to burn it in to a dvd is there a way??

2. Minion

Minion Senior member

You can Frameserve the MKV file from "Virtual-Dub-Mod" to "Tmpgenc" which can encode the File to Mpeg2 and then you would just have to author the Mpeg2 file to DVD useing a DVD Authoring Program like DVDLab....

Cheers

3. 0MAR

0MAR Regular member

Can u help me how do i Frameserve it what do i need to do it ....

4. Minion

Minion Senior member

Well You are going to first have to have the MKV Playback pack installed..You can get it here:

http://hp.vector.co.jp/authors/VA022257/matroska/mkvinst_b92.exe

Then you are going to have to Download the latest version of "Virtual-Dub-Mod" which you can download on this Page:

http://prdownloads.sourceforge.net/virtualdubmod/VirtualDubMod_1_5_10_1_All_inclusive.zip?download

#1)After downloading extract the program to a folder and go into the Folder and run the "AuxSetup.exe" file and click "Install Handler" and click OK and then close the AuxSetup.exe window....

#2)Now run the "VirtualDubMod.exe" file and load your MKV file into it, after the MKV file has been loaded in go to "File" to "Start Frameserver" then click "Start" and save the Frameserver file with a .vdr extention ,So something like "Movie.vdr"....

#3) Now run Tmpgenc and Load the .vdr file into Tmpgenc and encode it to Mpeg2 for DVD...(That part you can figure out for yourself)

If Tmpgenc gives you a "Can not open or Unsupported" error then go to "Options" to "Enviromental Settings" to "Vfapi Plugins" and Disable the "Direct show File Reader" and then the .vdr File should load into Tmpgenc no problem.....

After encodeing it to Mpeg2 load the Mpeg2 file into a DVD authoring program Like DVDLab or Tmpgenc DVD Author and add your menu"s and Chapters and burn the DVD....

Cheers

5. 0MAR

0MAR Regular member

Thanks but i keep getting this messages after frame serve the file hit star and when hiting save this message comes out frame serve error ..

6. Minion

Minion Senior member

Well try to convert the MkV file to AVI useing Virtual-Dub-Mod...

Open V-Dub-Mod and load in the MKV file and then go to "Video" and set it to "Direct stream copy" and then go to "File" to "Save as" and make sure it it set to "AVI" and give the file a name and Save it....

This worked for me the Last time I tried it ...

MKV Files are Not used very much at all and I have only come across them a couple of Times so i know very Little about the format.....

7. chimplet

chimplet Guest

v-dubmod worked when i copied the mkv into an avi, but there is no sound whne i play the file, is it possible to copy the sound as well as the video using vdubmod?
    when i tried the 1st suggested course of action of using dubmod then tmpgenc i couldnt get past the frame server, it would sit there and do nothing...

8. bauer88

bauer88 Member

to get the audio through VirtualDubMod, load the file and just click ok if u get a multiple audio streams dialogue. and now on the toolbar, click on streams, stream list. select the audio stream u want to extract and click Save WAV. choose your compression mode, or no compression, and choose a location. Click ok and let it do its work. now in TMPGenc, load the video file u extracted earlier that has no audio. and load the audio file u just extracted. encode.

Last edited: Oct 4, 2004
  9. chimplet

chimplet Guest

tmpgenc served my needs, i just installed it then installed the codecs from matroska's website and it works fine dealing with mkv files. i just converted it directly to an mpg through tmpgenc then burned it onto a dvd; thanks for the reply though...

Last edited by a moderator: Oct 6, 2004