1. This site uses cookies. By continuing to use this site, you are agreeing to our use of cookies. Learn More.

mkv/h264 to avi?

Discussion in 'Other video questions' started by pr0nto, May 12, 2007.

1. pr0nto

pr0nto Member

I have a bunch of .mkv files that I want to strip the AVI from to make a music video. However, when I try loading them into VirtualDubMod, it doesn't want to load them. I did some searching and decided to use mkvextract, which gave me a nice .h264 file.

The file plays in Media Player Classic, but it is at increased speed and I can't scan the video at all. Is there an easy way to convert this to AVI or anything else that would work well in VirtualDub for editing?

Thanks!

2. celtic_d

celtic_d Regular member

What you have is a raw H.264 stream. This is why seeking is a problem. As for the increased speed, not everything will detect the framerate of a raw stream. Most apps will default to 25fps.

You can use avc2avi to remux to an avi container, however you still may have some issues with editing via VDub since it uses VfW and frames are not always stored in the order that they are played back.

You might want to try AVISynth with directshowsource to feed the mkv to VDub or try AVIDemux instead.

Most mkv's that you come across these days will be using native video streams. It is only older files that used VfW compatibility for the video streams.

Another thing to keep in mind is that mkv supports Variable FrameRates (even in VfW mode) where as avi doesn't.