1. This site uses cookies. By continuing to use this site, you are agreeing to our use of cookies. Learn More.

MKV language selection

Discussion in 'Other video questions' started by pistolpt, Oct 28, 2004.

1. pistolpt

pistolpt Member

I have a MKV file which i want to make a vcd with. The problem is that the files has two audios (one in french and on ein english. Tmpgenc had no problem using the mkv( i didnt have to convert it in any way) and i burnt it on a cd no problem. However, it was in french. I look up in the properties and i see that the french audio is labeled audio 2 while the english is labelled audio 3. So french is the default. I tried extraction it using Virtualdub but i keep getting "s/text" error message. I tried a bunhc of things and i managed to extract the ogg file for english. However the audio is very choppy.

Does anyone know how to simply switch the default language of an mkv file, or even delete one of them, so i could get the english audio to play with the mpg.

2. rainbm

rainbm Member

I have the same or similar problem. I am trying to play the mkv file using Windows Media Player. I get sound in both english and french over the top of each other. Have you had any success in finding out what to do?

3. pistolpt

pistolpt Member

Yeah, You need to download the proper codec. I dont remember exaclty which one. If you have it you should be able to view it in windows media player. To select the language, click on the play tab, then click on audio and language tracks and pick your language. Also, If you want to transfer it to mpeg using Tmpgenc and the default language isnt the one you want, after downloading (i forget the name, but its a mkv codec) you can right click on your file in explorer and then choose to resave it. But this time unselect the unwanted language in one of the menu tabs (usually called audio 1 or something of the sort) and resave it. Your language will now only be the one you want. Then feel free to transer it to mpeg.