1. This site uses cookies. By continuing to use this site, you are agreeing to our use of cookies. Learn More.

MKV or MP4? File size

Discussion in 'Blu-ray players' started by Majikterror, Feb 23, 2011.

1. Majikterror

Majikterror Member

Excuse my ignorance I am new and don't even know what to search for, google gave me nothing.

First question: Which program works well for compressing m2ts files to mkv that compresses them to a 7-10 gig size that still plays on the computer? I tried wondershare and the mkv will not play in VLC or Home Cinema. I'm currently converting to MP4. Which is fine but I'm still curious.

Second question: Every time I convert a bluray I can with mp4. But if the movie is animated ( Despicable Me ) it is choppy??? Is there a fps setting that needs to be set different?? I know how to mux and demux and merge. But what's the deal?

Thank you to whoever is willing to dumb down for the new guy

2. dRD

dRD I hate titles Staff Member

No prob, that's why we're here :)

Relatively easy one is Handbrake -- it has tons of options, but they're pretty self-explanatory in many ways and you can keep your hands off the advanced settings for extra safety :) And it's free.

Hm, that's interesting, as the latest versions of both, VLC and MPC Home Cinema, should play pretty much every .mkv there is. Indicates that Wondershare somehow creates faulty files -- or you have some weird codec installed in your system that "takes over" the .mkv playback.

Do "normal" .mkv files play?

Have you checked your source material framerate, etc? You get choppy playback usually due incorrect fps -- your source material is 25.00fps and you encode into 23.97fps or other way around.

Simply check your source material's FPS first (most video players will give it to your from "properties" or "media info" selection) and use that when encoding the video.

Note, again, I should recommend using Handbrake for encoding. It allows you to choose the output container between Matroska and MP4 too :)

Hope this helped, even tho I have been "out of video biz" for ages now :)

Last edited: Feb 25, 2011
  3. Majikterror

Majikterror Member

Definitely got the file size where I wanted with the quality. But I have no time track and cant pause rewind or fast forward. Wow, do I need to demux or something first?? What am I doing wrong. Google didn't help once again.

4. dRD

dRD I hate titles Staff Member

Ok, you used Handbrake for encoding? Which container you chose, MKV or MP4? And which player it is that doesn't allow you to ffwd/rew? Have you tried another player, i.e. is it a player-specific issue?