1. This site uses cookies. By continuing to use this site, you are agreeing to our use of cookies. Learn More.

mkv to avi?

Discussion in 'DivX / XviD' started by wcanas, Jan 23, 2008.

1. Sqwerly

Sqwerly Member

Ok, converted with ConvertX but now another issue. File was originally 10.7 GB, now it is 7.84 GB. Does this mean I'm losing video quality? If so, why does this happen and how can I avoid it?

2. cyprusrom

cyprusrom Active member

No matter what you convert to and from, re-encoding will always have some loss of quality. Even when converting to the same format(not your case)

How were you planing to accomplish that? How do you make 10.7 GB fit onto a DL disc(7.9 Gb?) without compression->some reduced quality?

I know some people go nuts about the quality loss, but don't do it just yet. Yes the loss is on paper when you add all things up, but just look on your TV and see if you notice it first.

I converted 1 GB divx videosto DVD, and they look great. Can't tell the difference from a regular DVD.

However, if you expect to convert that MKV to DVD and have HD picture, NOT possible,but a SD great quality it is possible.

Last edited: Apr 6, 2008
  3. TheLionet

TheLionet Member

Hello all,

I've got an MKV file that's really rackin' my brain and I could really use some help. I used MKVExtractGUI to separate the video, audio, and idx/sub files, which work out just fine but when I combined the video and audio in VirtualDubMod it went outta sync. The video file 20 min 52 sec and the audio file is 25 min 48 sec. I adjusted the frame rate and even chose the option to have the two files match but no luck on getting the entire file right. Does anyone know how I can get the files to match time and length wise?

I initially used AllToAVI but I'm not happy with the lose of quality - from 253 MB to 186 MB. In the original mkv file the animation flows nicely but once AllToAVI does its thing, at high quality settings, the file is reduced and the animation gets coppy and has motion blurs. Me no like.

All I wanna do is get the video and audio files to mesh. Once that's done I can slap on the revised subtitles. Please help.

Cheers

4. Sqwerly

Sqwerly Member

If it helps, I ended up just using ConvertXtoDVD. Works fine with audio sync and the quality still looks great though it does end up losing some size.

5. Schwaber

Schwaber Regular member

Okay, I don't have any problems buring MKV to DVD since I can just use ConvertXtoDVD. However, when I watched it on my HDTV, the subtitles are a bit cropped. It is annoying coz when I watch it on VLC, the subtitles were perfectly fine.

I have a seperate sub file (.srt) for the movie but the MKV file has soft subs in it. How do I adust it? Or atleast remove those 'soft subs' on the MKV and use my seperate SRT sub file?

6. macman89

macman89 Member

hey i used ConvertX2dvd to convert a mkv file that had subtitles, it converted it withthem, though I don't want them. What's the best way to go about removing them (next time), is there a setting in convertXtodvd or do they need to be removed prior or something?

Also, I tried burning this converted file anyway, but when I put it in my toast 9 burning program it took like 3 secs and finished, obviously not burning, idk what happen but my dvd drive spat out the dvd saying it was a ''successful burn'' which is obviously impossible being it's 4.6 gigs or w.e. . was this just a fluke or? should i have burned using the convertX program it self?

thanks !!

7. ebega

ebega Regular member

In order to convert mkv to avi I use AVIMux Gui. Just changes the container so the process is quick and you don't have any loss in video or audio quality since you are not re-encoding either.

http://www.videohelp.com/tools/AVIMux_GUI