1. This site uses cookies. By continuing to use this site, you are agreeing to our use of cookies. Learn More.

.mkv to .avi

Discussion in 'Other video questions' started by ShadowNLC, Jan 29, 2009.

1. ShadowNLC

ShadowNLC Member

Hi, I usually can convert .mkv files myself, but these files have something I haven't actually encountered before. Here is what shows up when I run MKVExtractGUI to check what's inside the mkv:

the video track is :V_MPEG4/ISO/AVC
    the audio track is: A_AAC

the audio, I'm pretty sure I can just extract with MKVExtract and convert to mp3 later, but the video, I can't use VirtualDubMod to direct stream copy like I usually do. So does anyone know any methods to do this, any help would be appreciated.

2. mistycat

mistycat Active member

3. nicolya

nicolya Guest

you also can use SPAM

Last edited by a moderator: Feb 18, 2009
  4. KajNrig

KajNrig Regular member

Just some technical stuff:

The video stream is an AVC stream - an h264 HD stream. If you want to convert it with VDubMod, you'll have to install Avisynth and create an Avisynth script and open the script in VDM.

Otherwise, you can go with the two options above. I don't know if they'll accept that video stream, though, since it's a relatively new standard. That, and I'm also not sure of the quality those two produce - whether they're simply one-click solutions, or if they allow for precise encoder tweaks, etc. But if it works for you, then I'm all for it.

Good luck.

5. ShadowNLC

ShadowNLC Member

KajNrig, I do have AviSynth installed, could you tell me what I would need to type in order to make the correct Avisynth script so I can open it in Virtual Dub? Thanks in advance.

6. KajNrig

KajNrig Regular member

It's pretty simple. If you just want VDubMod to load the video, open up Notepad and type:

DirectShowSource("C:/...file path.../file.mkv")

...and save as an Avisynth script - ".avs".

Then you load it up in VDubMod (hopefully there won't be any issues), do the whole converting thing, and you should have yourself an .avi file. But just the video.

But I believe you can mux in the audio, as well. You know how to do that, right?

7. ShadowNLC

ShadowNLC Member

yes I know about the audio. I'll give it a try and get back to you later, thanks!

8. ShadowNLC

ShadowNLC Member

do I leave the quotes and parentheses, if I do, then Virtual Dub crashes if I try to open up the .avs file.

9. KajNrig

KajNrig Regular member

Well, you're SUPPOSED to keep those there... I dunno why it crashes, then... maybe there's a plugin it's missing or something. I know that if you want to work with the raw h264 stream, you have to frameserve it and all this junk first to get Avisynth working with it...

I dunno. You could try MeGUI to re-encode instead. It's always worked for me. Plus it's more geared towards those kinds of files (h264) anyway, so it's bound to be more compatible.

Last edited: Feb 19, 2009
  10. ShadowNLC

ShadowNLC Member

Ok thanks, I'll give it a try.

11. vivianflv

vivianflv Guest

generally, the common video converter can do it. MKV is a container format and it has the independent video codec and audio codec. It is the same as AVI in this aspect.

12. alexxxy

alexxxy Guest

spam removed by loco

Last edited by a moderator: Feb 28, 2009
  13. ivyxu

ivyxu Guest

I always use SPAM,it is a profssional tool and can convert mkv files to avi format sucessfully.

Last edited by a moderator: Mar 10, 2009