1. This site uses cookies. By continuing to use this site, you are agreeing to our use of cookies. Learn More.

Mkv to wmv and subtitles, don't want English subtitles on ALL the time...

Discussion in 'Subtitle help' started by Murdicide, Apr 25, 2010.

1. Murdicide

Murdicide Member

Hello all, longtime reader, first time post. A friend of mine wants me to convert a couple of mkv's to wmv's. My set-up includes the latest CCCP pack and all that goes with it. I use Nic's to encode. My question is what settings do I need to adjust in either Haali or ffdshow settings or Directvobsub to be able to encode to the wmv file the English subtitles ONLY when people are speaking in another language, and NOT have the English subtitles appear when the people are speaking English? Seems like when I set everything to "yes", the English subtitles appear in the wmv files at ALL times, even when someone is speaking English. I only want to see the English subtitles in the wmv file when people are NOT speaking English. Is that possible? I hope I am not wasting your time; I think I looked thoroughly enough on the web, but didn't really see anything specifically covering this topic. Thanks in advance for your input!

Last edited: Apr 25, 2010
  2. davexnet

davexnet Active member

Is it possible in the MKV? Perhaps some subs are burned in
    while some are switchable (soft subs)?

3. Paula_X

Paula_X Guest

you have to dump a sub or srt file and manually edit out the lines you don't want.. it's easy if you print them out then cross them off as you watch the film.. then add back in the edited file.. you can make the new ones subs 2.. or whatever.. personally I would dump the original full subs if you don't want them. Had to do this will kill bill.. no great bother really..

takes time, but it's the ONLY way as the english subs are the complete film script and there is no way to tell the player to only pick some.

4. cyprusrom

cyprusrom Active member

Depending on the movie, if you look hard enough, you might find subtitles for the non-English parts only.