1. This site uses cookies. By continuing to use this site, you are agreeing to our use of cookies. Learn More.

mmds chorus on dvb t tv and diablo cam

Discussion in 'Digital TV - United States & Canada' started by yammagamm, Oct 7, 2008.

1. yammagamm

yammagamm Regular member

hi guys. is it possable to use my built in dvb tuner on tv which has a ci slot that i can put my diablo cam into. and is there any bin files for chorus mmds for the diablo.. or any1 know anything about trying it this way..

2. mgb17

mgb17 Regular member

First precondition is that the channel scan is able to find the channels.

3. yammagamm

yammagamm Regular member

yea. i know ill have to put up mmds ariel and down converter first instead of a standard digital ariel..i think i saw chorus on list in txt file of a diablo bin file i have..

4. mgb17

mgb17 Regular member

Normally the scan procedure for a integrated dvb-t tuner at a tv scans only the UHF range 470 to 860 mhz.
    A normal ch*rus aerial deliver the channels in the range 234 to 386 mhz.
    That doesn't match.

5. yammagamm

yammagamm Regular member

thanks mgb17. thats the info i was looking for. as it doesnt say in my lcd manual the dvb-t tuner range..and since we dont have freeview transmitting around here i wasnt sure the different frequencies..

6. mgb17

mgb17 Regular member

You could use an mmds downconverter from satandcable or a other dealer. Such a downconverter is using the range 662MHz-848MHz but you have to do the installation by yourself.

7. yammagamm

yammagamm Regular member

just wondering could i use my digiweb metro aerial. ie my isp aerial as that is a powered aerial and presume it has a downconverter. any1 know what frequencies the digiweb metro aerial work.. or could i use my satellite dish and lnb ? as the lnb is a powered downconverter is it not and since i have a motorised 90cm dish..

8. mgb17

mgb17 Regular member

The things are simply different. You need a mmds downconverter, a power supply for the downconverter and a matching aerial.

9. yammagamm

yammagamm Regular member

ok so just found out metro digiweb on 10.5 ghz about re rx and tx freq and chorus mmds around 2.5ghz up top and 235mhz to 375mhz on box after downconverter ..was just up on roof and i have a aerial looks like a mmds with a downverter attached to back of it.well box attached to aerial with cable coming from dipole to it and then another cable out of it.and its labelled horizon type b.., i connected a 12volt supply to cable going upto the aerial but no luck using the dvb-t tuner in tv which was from 475mhz to 850mhz so im wondering if i get a tx bow would equiptment on roof do.. any1 have the old horizon type b aerial ??working

10. mgb17

mgb17 Regular member

Maybe the power supply is too weak. The power inserter has to deliver up to 200ma.
    Its also a good idea to check the analogue channels via the tuner of a tv.

11. yammagamm

yammagamm Regular member

hi mgb17 . power supply 700mA. will i be able to pick up the analogue channels on mmds ?ie rte1 rte2 and so on.also is this tread right as in frequences ? before and after downconverter ?http://forums.afterdawn.com/thread_view.cfm/562886

12. yammagamm

yammagamm Regular member

just reading loads more treads here and reading some downconverters might have 2 output freq ranges.? think there were 2 f connector points on the horizon type b which i believe is a down converter. also any way to measure the frequency ? i have a fluke 83 meter that can read frequencies tried reading it on the rf cable but could get no readings never used it for reading this before but did read 50hz from a socket so know the meter is working,, would the second f connector on the horizon type b be another output freq range ?

13. mgb17

mgb17 Regular member

Scan for the 5 available analogue channels via the tuner of your TV and check the frequencies at the TV.

14. yammagamm

yammagamm Regular member

could not pick up any of the 5 analogue channels on the mmds aerial,which is pointing straight at woodcock hill and i have a very good line of sight sitting here typing i can see the safety beacons on the masts. so not sure if the 12 volt power inserter that i borrowed from my digiweb metro setup is enough or could that have some kind of filter built into it to block out other frequencies?????,it only sends the 12 volts out 1 side upstream, is this the norm for inserters ??? i have a few psu`s lying around somewhere and might make my own power inserter using a old sky magic eye enclosure and around 18 volt psu.think ill put new rg6 cable up as well as dont know how good or old cable run is to aerial once i get a roof ladder sorted to rule that out as well.all this even before i start on the diablo..

15. mgb17

mgb17 Regular member

Maybe the polarization of the aerial is wrong or the analogue tuner at your TV is only willing to scan the UHF range.

16. yammagamm

yammagamm Regular member

hi... tried manual scan on another crt tv using the aerial and downconverter for the analogue channels on the 3bands still no luck , tried another power supply on 18 volts with 1000mA as well as the 12volt 200 mA SUPPLY....anyone ever come across these horizon type b downconverters ?... o yea i bypassed the downconverter and getting good picture on uhf maybe the downconverter is just shot..??and i guessing the type b on the downconverter is for group b aerial ? but any1 come across these horizon typeb downconverters ?

17. carlow

carlow Member

18. carlow

carlow Member

any two part down converter and di pole will not work for digital mmds transmissions,if you require an areil it can be sorted for you,but are u sure woodcock hill is transmitting?woodcock hill where??wicklow or clare or wexford?chorus recently turned off a few of there transmitters throughout the country because the areas had a stronger signal comming from a near by ntl transmitter,or beacause the customers could still get a signal with larger poles being monted.the mmds service is due to be decommisioned when the dtt service goes online during the next few years and upc will offer a topup tv style service.

19. mgb17

mgb17 Regular member

Why should a dipol with extra downconverter not working. The signal doesn't care about if the downconverter is builtin into the feedarm or attached behind the dipol with a short cable run.
    The problem is to find out if the downconverter is still in working order. Installations with extra downconverters attached to the back of the aerial are stone old.

20. yammagamm

yammagamm Regular member

ok im back. got a new downconverter/feedhorn type getting 100% signal but feck all quality using old mesh with new downconverter strapped to old dipol arm, moving it up down arm max im getting is 10% about, had it placed exact distance old feedhorn was but not working.are feedhorns matched to mesh aerials ? like dishes ? and is the distance of feedhorn critical ?. i say the mesh aerial is slightly larger then new ones as its 59 x59 cm so would this have effect on focal point of signal in relation to position of feedhorn ?im picking up T4 on analogue tuner but pointing it slightly away from masts on woodcockhill..