1. This site uses cookies. By continuing to use this site, you are agreeing to our use of cookies. Learn More.

MMDS Set-up Complete Beginner

Discussion in 'Digital TV - United States & Canada' started by smartjj72, May 3, 2007.

1. RoryG

RoryG Member

Of course its a digital only stick, RTÉ one on Ch*rus digital is fta here, so is TV3 btw. I can pick it up (and watch it) on a freeview box, aswell. But we also still have analogue, which is quite handy to setup the aerial.
    How about the software (driver) that came with your stick? Did you install it prior to the bda driver from the freecom website?

On the backlabel of my stick it says: Feb2007. And when I insert it, it blinks once and then stays on all the time.

2. mullgan

mullgan Member

Just plugged it in again and it flashes for 5 seconds and then goes off.. I attempted a scan through TM but there is no signal and therefore no channels.
    The date on the back is August 2007. I only installed the BDA drivers and not the ones that came with the stick.

What should I expect to see in device manager? I have "Freecom USB DVB-T device" showing up in the Sound, video, and game controllers section. Is this all I should be able to see?

3. mgb17

mgb17 Regular member

You need a valid channel first and the standard scan is not able to find chorus channels.
    If you switch on without a valid channel tuned in what do you expect you could see?

4. mullgan

mullgan Member

OK ... but aside from that should the green led on the freecom stick not light up once it's found a proper signal from chorus digital once it's connected... I'm not seeing any activity on the stick or within the Total Media Software.

5. mgb17

mgb17 Regular member

The frequency pointing to nowhere.
    Install progdvb 5.09.2 for instance and try a transponder scan via 234000 khz, 242000 and 250000.
    Btw you need a power inserter for your mmds aerial.

6. mullgan

mullgan Member

Thanks a mill... sorry new to this stuff.
    Scanned certain freq. and found all the channels...Some are fta - some are blocked. For the fta ones I am getting a signal level of 83-85 % and 100% quality.. however the signal seems to break up every now and again. Is there any setting in ProgDVb that I can change to improve this?? or is it down to the lack of ram in my laptop(currently 1GB)

Also, how can I unscramble the blocked channels??

Appreciate all your help.

7. mullgan

mullgan Member

OK Sorted out the signal breakup by setting the processor to normal in ProgDVB. But I still haven't managed to unscramble the blocked channels?? I have installed s2emu plugin and software the softcam./key into the root of the ProgDVB folder but still no joy.

Is there anything I need to initiate with progdvb to make the unscrambling work ?

8. RoryG

RoryG Member

S2emu has to go into the plugins folder.

9. mullgan

mullgan Member

thanks.. Yes I have placed s2emu into the plugins folder.. Any other ideas??. What version of s2emu do you have.? How does it pick up the codes...Do I need to do anything with ProgDVB??

10. mgb17

mgb17 Regular member

You need the file softcam.key with valid keys in the plugins folder.

11. mullgan

mullgan Member

I have it in the root of the progdvb folder so I'll transfer it when I get home...

12. mullgan

mullgan Member

Got everything working at last. Thanks to everyone who helped. Finally.. Does anyone know how to get a remote control working with progdvb?

13. 78eigs

78eigs Member

14. cathaldub

cathaldub Regular member

Right lads
    Have a quick question
    Have this aerial & a power supply for it
    [​IMG]
    I'm living in dublin Which I believe uses a normal "The Box" not the "The Box-t"
    Will this aerial also work with the standard boxes in Dublin or is it only for outside of dublin, where they use the "The Box-t" Boxes?

15. spongerob

spongerob Member

that aerial would only work in mmds enabled areas....most areas in dublin city used cable digital rather than mmds. if thats the case in your area, then the aerial prob won't work.

16. mgb17

mgb17 Regular member

It depends if the mmds transmitter from TheNaul or the beambender from Swords is receivable in that area and not what is offered there.

17. Milner2k

Milner2k Member

well these T boxes are still dvb-T, so when DTT gets rolled out someone might have a new firmware to crack that system instead.

18. Milner2k

Milner2k Member

and I believe that aerial has a 15mile range. Isint the swords area an mmds feed area ? If you could find out if there are any mmds transmitters around you can always figure out the distance.

19. mgb17

mgb17 Regular member

The irish DTT will be rolled out in mpeg4 and not mpeg2. The eurovox can only handle mpeg2.

20. Milner2k

Milner2k Member

So all channels including sd ones will be in mpeg4 ? that seems a waste doesnt it.