1. This site uses cookies. By continuing to use this site, you are agreeing to our use of cookies. Learn More.

MMDS Set-up Complete Beginner

Discussion in 'Digital TV - United States & Canada' started by smartjj72, May 3, 2007.

1. glog

glog Member

Ok.So interference from a main transmitter when aimed at a beambender and vice versa is not an issue and what was said originally is not strcitly true ?

2. suse103

suse103 Regular member

Hi , i dont know if this will help people but i have a panorama yagi which for i long while couldnt get to work ,signal breaking all the time , i bought an antenna 24db and attached it to that still no improvement so i went about fashioning something to improve the signal which is now 100 % perfect... basically i made a curved aluminum half cyliner and hung this from the attenna half covering half of the yagi from above but a roughly tilted 40 degrees to reflect the waves back onto the yagi..it really works and im sure the same kind of principal will work for your downcoverters...

It worked for me

3. Jimme

Jimme Regular member

Sounds very interesting. Any chance of a picture - show off your great work? Thanks

4. yammagamm

yammagamm Regular member

hi jimme and others. got new downconverter intergrated one panorama one. slapped it up even without yagi parts and have 100% signal quality and strength and i screwed on yagi parts no change so took them off again still perfect. i spent over probally 40 hours trying to get other type working, i believe the dipole panorama downconverters i have are faulty might be bad batch. anyway jimme if i were you i get same1 i got from sat and cable and try it..

5. Jimme

Jimme Regular member

Hi Yammagamm,

Delighted to hear you got your setup working. Good man!

However, I'm slightly confused by how you fixed it. Would be great if you could clarify a few points for me (i'm new to this):

You said you were using a Yagi. Did your Yagi look something like this -> (Picture of Yagi)

If you took off the "Yagi parts", what sort of antenna did you mount the downconverter onto? Are you using a standard old ch0ru$ mesh or a lance grid?

Not sure what a dipole downconverter is. The downconverter I was using looks like -> (Picture of downconverter). If your downconverter looked like that also, then maybe it was a bad batch?

6. mgb17

mgb17 Regular member

Yammagamm is using the mmds yagi instead of an aerial with downconverter.
    The mmds yagi has an downconverter built in and the rod is the receiving unit. The rod is devided into 2 mountable parts and if the signal strength is strong enough there is only one part needed and the rod is therefor shorter.

7. yammagamm

yammagamm Regular member

hi jimme , yea my downconverter was exact same as that 1 from panorama same 1 as u described earlier , yea the other link u posted asking about yagi is 1 i got from that place, very good service and since the euro is very strong against sterling great time to buy stuff in the uk you dont need the mesh aerial with that type and the yagi is the rod with the circular disks in it. it can be halfed as it is screwed together half way, the downconverter is also built into that type.i am deffo that the ones we were trying to use are faulty deffo about it.and you dont need the power inserter as you already have that.48 euro including postage it cost me, and if it doesnt sort you out ill take it off you as i want 1 for parents house.

8. yammagamm

yammagamm Regular member

well maybe not deffo it will sort your problems as you do have some perfect channels where my signal quality was sh**e but offer is still there if you get 1 and it does not work ill fix u up for it as im looking for another 1.

9. hillman40

hillman40 Member

i see Lidl ar offering a Welltech Wireless Transmission Set
    - Transmits audio/video signals from satellite and DVB-T receivers, DVD players, etc. Wondering if this will work with the Box-T?

10. yammagamm

yammagamm Regular member

no reason why it wont work i use 1 of these,well not this make but the tevion brand (lidl or aldi) to send my satellite signal upstairs to bedroom and i use a programmable remote control and it works but remember these transmit on the 2.5ghz frequency range which broadband routers and cordless phones use, i had problems with it blocking my wireless broadband working even thought you can change channels ie 4 different frequencies, no matter what channels i tries on both router and video sender it was interfering so i just dont use both together..

11. 95vitara

95vitara Member

Has any body had any trouble with the MMDS Integrated downconverter + aerial (including power supply) (pamorama) both of these items failed no voltage from power supply when tested with multimeter and no signal recieved with antenna when tested with good powersupply, purchased a couple of these sets over the last year this is the only set to fail

12. shep2

shep2 Member

hi guys,
    just wondering i have c....s mmds, i live in the westmeath, just wondering what box i should buy to receive the channels? like sports and movies?
    any help would be great thanks.

13. satguy99

satguy99 Member

Eurovox TX

14. whytie

whytie Member

Hi all,
    New here so go easy.
    First off I live in clondalkin, Dublin, have a clean sight along the M50 of three rock, I was thinking maybe there was a mmds aerial there so I got a yaggi aerial and connected up eurovox 1000sl tried all freq. mentioned here and nothing. Now I was going to say that maybe there is no **l mmds signal in clondalkin but I was getting about 85% signal strength on box no matter what direction I aimed the aerial at, when I unpluged the power inserter there was no signal at all, so was i getting **l mmds or maybe freeview.
    Any help welcomed.
    Whytie

15. mgb17

mgb17 Regular member

3rock is only terrestrial analogue and DTT test.
    The mmds transmitter is in TheNaul and a few beambenders in the region.

Last edited: Nov 28, 2008
  16. whytie

whytie Member

Many thanks mgb17 for the reply, so is the signal I picked up likely to be DTT and if so could the eurovox not tune those channels in.

17. mgb17

mgb17 Regular member

A mmds aerial is not able to receive a signal from the dtt test. Thats a different frequency range.
    Do you use a mmds yagi or a yagi for normal terrestrial reception?
    Btw a normal eurovox is only able to handle dvb-c and not dvb-t for dtt. Beside that the dtt test is using mpeg4.

18. whytie

whytie Member

I used a mmds yagi and it was really just a test to see if I could receive **L mmds. So i think im right in saying if I were able to get mmds in Dublin then it would be **l mmds and I would need a mmds aerial and a dvb-c tuner, and then both of these could not pick up a DTT signal, so any ideas what signal it could have been. I am approx. 18 miles away from The Naul so I dont think a yaggi would pick up that signal, and like I said it dident matter which way I pointed the aerial it stayed about the same 85% signal.

19. mgb17

mgb17 Regular member

The downconverter has an amplifier built in and if you amplify ground noise you can get a signal strength bar. The more important thing is the signal quality. If you get 0 % quality there is nothing receivable.
    Check the mmds aerials in your local area and point your yagi in the same direction. The polarization horizontal or vertical is also important.
    The first valid frequency should be at 698 mhz for your yagi and n*l mmds.

20. nogihno

nogihno Member

hi all, i have had my mmds working now with eurovox for 3 months. today out of the blue the screen went black and it says data is being updated. after a while it switches back to the black screen only for it to appear again. i did another scan and all i can watch is 2 channels despite reading 87 and also i am able to see what is on, but the black screen still appears. any ideas?