1. This site uses cookies. By continuing to use this site, you are agreeing to our use of cookies. Learn More.

MMDS Set-up Complete Beginner

Discussion in 'Digital TV - United States & Canada' started by smartjj72, May 3, 2007.

1. erukus

erukus Member

ok so if i split the cable coming from the power suppy transformer i.e. on the power supply there is a socket for the coax going to the aerial and then an outlet for coax going to reciever so if i use the f splitter from maplin can i split the coax coming from the outlet of the power supply transformer to two recievers? Thanks

2. mgb17

mgb17 Regular member

There is no voltage at the TV socket of the power inserter. If you split behind the inserter there is no voltage problem.

3. erukus

erukus Member

ok thanks just thought i might need something more than just the f splitter i have shown in maplin link thanks for your help

4. erukus

erukus Member

Hi,

I am wondering is it safe to apply two power supplies to one aerial. If i have two boxes can i split the coax in the attic coming from the aerial and then send the split cable to two different power supplies and then two boxes from those power supplies. The reason I am considering using 2 power supplies is to safeguard the boxes from any voltage reaching the boxes.

Thanks

5. satguy99

satguy99 Member

absolutely no no no , one power supply can run up to 4 receivers

6. satguy99

satguy99 Member

7. erukus

erukus Member

ok

so you are saying it is safe to split the cable between the aerial and the powersupply so 1 leg will be coming from the splitter to the power supply then power supply to box then the other leg will be going from the splitter straight to the other box.

Is there any danger of voltage in the coax reaching the box because there is no voltage going from the power supply to the box but if it is split before power supply then goes directly to the box there will be voltage going to the box is there a risk to the box/tuner

8. glog

glog Member

With MMDS surely the Powersupply is running the down converter in the aerial.It is nothing to do the receiver.They are powered independantly.

Also, Sayguy99 can you please outline how the splitter you have recommended should be connected.Which leg should connect to the PSU and which direct to the 2nd box.This splitter has DC feedthrough on 1 leg only.Surely this is of importance to the set up.

I would have similar concerns as Erukus.It is for this reason i have split after the PSU, in the attic.

Thanks
    gLog

9. erukus

erukus Member

Does anyone know where i can get a d.c. blocker to fit to the coax cable i have seen some f connectors with a d.c. blocker integrated into it but only on american sites anyone know any uk or irish sites that supply these?

10. mgb17

mgb17 Regular member

You could use this splitter:
    http://www.maplin.co.uk/Module.aspx?ModuleNo=9273

This one has power pass only at one leg.

11. erukus

erukus Member

ok thank you this looks good

12. eamong

eamong Member

hi guys i was looking to get MMDS connected to pc with dvb-t card any help with hardware / software would be grateful

13. billyie

billyie Member

hello... i want to make sure that i fully understand this thread..as i dont want to blow any of the boxes..by connecting them wrongly...
    Can i ask again in my own words how to connect my starview box to my NTL MMDS sytem....
    As other replies have said ...you connect the starview on one side of the power suuply so as you dont introduce a voltage ( the dc voltage thing) that may blow the power supply..or indeed the genuine NTL reciver.... The big question being which is the correct side...!!!
    From the thread i am understanding that i should connect my Starview box on the co ax cable as it leaves the power supply and goes to the reciever,,,??? (and not between the MMDS aerial and power supply)
    Is this correct....??
    If it is correct, this would be the place to cut the cable and put a two way spliter in place,,so as i can connect my starview box....??? (and therefore any voltages..dc thingy... that may be introduced will not affect either box or the genuine power supply)
    Really need ya input here to make sure i dont mess it up...Thanks guys... Billyie

14. erukus

erukus Member

Ok you have managed to confuse a nation with that post

You have not indicated how many boxes you intend to use from the one aerial.

if using one box run coax from aerial to power supply connect coax from aerial to the socket on the power supply labeled ANT then run a 2nd coax from the TV socket of the power supply to the cable box (reciever)

if using 2 boxes introduce the splitter shown above to the coax between the aerial and the power supply. Then run the second box from the splitter just be sure to follow the diagram on the splitter so one side will have power to aerial (i.e. the original 1 box setup) and the other side of the splitter will be directly connected to the 2nd box.

15. billyie

billyie Member

HI GUYS...
    A bit confused by ya reply Erukus... i thought it was evident from my thread that i had an original NTL MMDS system in place....
    and was trying to add a starview box into the system.. but i must have confused you..sorry...
    But anyway..may i ask if after reading all threads again...would i be correct in saying that you can connect on either side of the power suuply..but you need to be very aware of the type of splitter you use.
    If a splitter is used in between power supply and the aerial..you must use a splitter with dc pass(power pass)and make sure that only the original NTL MMDS box is Connected to the dc pass leg of splitter...so as the original NTL box can send its voltage to the downconvertor at the aeriel...while my Starview box can be connected safely to the other non dc pass leg of this splitter...
    BUT..
    If you connect a splitter between power supply and the receiver..you can use a very standard splitter which may not have dc pass because at this side of the power supply there is no voltage problem.

Would this be correct..???? I would need to be corrected if ya think i still have it wrong,,,,Thanks to Erukus..and any body whom can guide me on this ... Billyie

16. alec76

alec76 Member

yep, thats the way to do . i've got standart splitter between psu and 2 boxes .

17. erukus

erukus Member

Yes you are correct

18. billyie

billyie Member

Agh..i am glad i got it now....Thanks to ya both...it will save me from damaging either box,,this is fantastic,,cheers guys...

19. a7v8x

a7v8x Member

Hi after trawling through this thread I still have one or two quiestions. Is it possible to mount the mmds aerial inside the attic or does it have to go outside, I live in meath not sure if that makes any difference as I dont know where the transmitter is located. Secondly what is the best box and antenna for this area? Had always wanted to get the mmds but was under the impression that I had to subscribe to ch s as I didnt know you could buy the antennas. The reason I ask about mounting the antenna inside is that wouldnt it draw attention to chorus installers if they seen your purchased one stuck on the chimney or whatever?

Last edited: Feb 11, 2009
  20. erukus

erukus Member

yes you can mount it in the attic provided you get s strong enough signal you will need to know where the transmitter is so you can know which direction to point the aerail. you dont need an existing subscription ifyou are using an mmds system its completely free.any of the plug and play boxes work e.g. digivox-T. if you want something a bit more high tech you can get a dreambox-T the 500 series are not being produced anymore so if you buy a DM 500-T it will be a chinese clone which wrk fine apparently the clones have a weak spot on the tuner so you end up losing 3 or 4 channels this problem is avoided with plug and play box such as digivox. If you wan to spend some money and get a proper box get a dreambox 600t that is what i have you can change the tuners in them from T terrestrial to S satellite so if mmds goes down in future you could change tuner to S for about 30-40 quid and do something like cardsharing which you will have to reserch yourself hope this helps